Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 06-24-2010, 08:56 AM

Default Looking for some help!

Hey guys, in the past some of you have helped with flies and misc stuff that was for a package sent to the troops who have the ability to actually fish in iraq, to y'all thank you so much! So here is the deal I am on the leadership team of the new Cherokee Chapter of Project Healing Waters. We are hosting a national event this Fall in Cherokee on the tribal trophy stretch of the raven fork. We are looking at over 40 vets from all over the country, obviously this is a large project. My request is this, are there any of you out there who would be willing to tie up some flies that we can pass out to the teams of vets for that event. We have great connections for gear, rods, waders etc. but not for flies. I am the lead on rostering the guides for the event and I am really trying to get enough flies to keep the guy's from fishing out of there own boxes if possible. I have a few TU chapters pitching in from around the SE, and our PHW groups are tying as well. The event is over two full days of fishing and most of you probably know that mixing large fish, and a good number of relatively inexperienced anglers, equals a need for quite a few bugs. Thanks so much, the guides who are working with this project are donating their time and expertise to bring some joy to disabled vets, and for all of us I thank anyone who is willing to pitch in. You can contact me through this board or email or just call me and we can talk patterns, also any of you who fish the run and have advise on that water in the Fall your input is welcomed as well. Thank you

Barry Murphy
bmurphy055@gmail.com
828-400-3335

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

Old 06-24-2010, 09:55 AM

Barry,
Do you have any idea of what patterns you might need? I would be honored to tie up some for them.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:26 AM

Yes sir, a variety of large streamers in tan, black, olive, and white
woolly buggers (tan, white, olive, black)
these can be with cones, or bead heads
san juans blood color
large muddler minnows
egg patterns
red copper johns
BHPT

We are still putting together the list of all the patterns and there are several of us that are tying up some local stuff that is highly thought of, I figured that the basic stuff would make things easier for those folks kind enough to help out that don't live close. I like streamers, I fish em and stick a bunch of fish there but people do well on midges there too, when I guide the vets I will alternate between streamers and midges under indicators, a lot depends on their talent level as well. We have the stocking folks in our corner and the fish will be hungry to be sure. Thanks so much!

Barry

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

Old 06-24-2010, 01:56 PM

I tie and fish midges quite a bit, and I think I have the stuff on hand to start on them. I'll try to tie enough for everyone to have 2 or 3 patterns. Might take a couple weeks, I'll email you to find out where to send them when I finish. Something in the sz 20-22 range OK?
Old 06-24-2010, 03:00 PM

Absolutely!! We have till Sept for the big event so no rush. I cannot thank you enough, and please when you are ready to send them please let me know your mailing address so i can thank you. If you shoot me an email I can give you some more details that are really exciting and also send you our newsletter and get you on our E-mailing list.

bmurphy055@gmail.com

Thank you so much Sir.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

Old 06-24-2010, 03:13 PM

Just sent you an email.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:03 PM

Thank you i just shot you one

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

Old 07-20-2010, 09:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Flyslinger

I can handle the copper johns and quite a bit of other stuff too. When is this event ??
Old 07-20-2010, 11:28 PM

Email sent.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 07-21-2010, 08:54 AM

First of all I would just like to say how much I appreciate the help and support that I have gotten as a result of this posting. Our main large scale event is in Sept. That said we take Vet's fishing on an almost weekly basis. Last week we took a handful of Vets (including the head of the Purple-Hearts Association for Western NC) to a warm-water location and went after bass and bream. Nancy, who was one of the first female Marines to ever been injured in combat was able in attendance. We were able to get her chair to the water and she caught her first bass and bream on a flyrod. Whats even better is my friend Cecil Tiller, who I have never met personally but who contributed a large container of bass flies to our group, tied the flies she was using. I will try and post a pic of her and her catch but I need to get her permission first as the VA has some rules with that. Thanks go out to all of you who have been so gracious. It has been amazing to me the way the Lord has put the people who I/we need in front of me now that I am so involved with this organization and for me it is a testament to the fact that when you let God be in control incredible things happen on a daily basis. I have told others and will state it again, we will use anything anyone offers. thanks to TFO and their sponsorship we have about 5 rods rigged up in our kit, plus of course myself and my guide/volunteers have a bunch too, waders and boots are somewhat of an issue but it's wet wade time right now and Orvis has us covered with rods reels and waders sets for the Sept event. Flies, anything is great! we will use it I promise you, I am in charge of guides and helping us from not fishing exclusively out of our own boxes is a big help. For anyone interested just send me an email or call or post something. I truly appreciate all of the wonderful people who have answered the call to help these brave heroes who allow us to hang out and talk fishing non-stop, God Bless our Troops, God Bless America, and God bless all of you, Thank you

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)
828-356-2410 (Office)

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)