Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 06-25-2010, 01:29 PM

Default Smallie fishing with Troutfishers

I took a day off this week and joined with my buddy Chad for a trip with Randy Ratliff of Troutfishers Guide Service http://trout-fishers.net/index.shtml
for a day of smallmouth fishing on the Holston proper outside of Kingsport.

Randy is a very laid back, easy going guide, that enjoys what he does. He is one of the few guides that specializes in smallmouth flyfishing, not someone who only does it when the trout aren't biting. He knows the rivers well and how to fish them.

Chad started off early with a nice smallie not far from the put in that morning.

nice smallie on a streamer

I hooked up with several nice smallmouth during the day also.

So if you want to hire a professional guide for smallmouth or trout, Randy is an Orvis ordorsed guide and a good choice for the area tailwaters. I fish for Smallies quite a bit and I learned alot from him and plan on using that info for my own home waters. Thanks Randy for a great day.

Last edited by Troutman; 06-27-2010 at 01:38 PM..
Old 06-25-2010, 02:16 PM

Thanks Gary, I'll file that one away in case I can set up a trip with him sometime, sounds fun. I enjoyed my guided smallie trip on the New last year a whole lot even though the fish were definately off that day. I learned a lot also from that guide.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:46 PM

Randy is a good one on those rivers up there he knows his stuff for sure, for the smallmout rivers closer to Knoxvile Mike Bone has the same knowledge and is very similar in personality.

Glad you all had a good day, and makes me want to be out there right now!!
Old 06-25-2010, 02:49 PM

Thumbs up

Very nice smallies! What fun they are on the fly!

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 06-26-2010, 12:46 PM

Waterwolf, I knew Mike was "The" Clinch and Holston trout guide but did not know he guided for smallies also. Does he get many request for it? I know that when Rusty was trying to book trips for smallmouth floats, not many were interested.

Bran, Yes, Randy is a good choice for floating the Soho, Watauga rivers for trout and the Holston proper for Smallies. He feeds you well also!
Old 06-29-2010, 06:47 PM

Last edited by Randy Ratliff; 01-27-2012 at 09:37 AM..
Old 06-29-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
Waterwolf, I knew Mike was "The" Clinch and Holston trout guide but did not know he guided for smallies also. Does he get many request for it? I know that when Rusty was trying to book trips for smallmouth floats, not many were interested.

Bran, Yes, Randy is a good choice for floating the Soho, Watauga rivers for trout and the Holston proper for Smallies. He feeds you well also!
We used to do some back when I worked for Mike, and he still does some now. However the interest is not there like it is for trout, and most fly fisherman do not have the skill set needed to do well on smallmouth IMO.

Mike and I together have explored every possible smallmouth river in East TN over the last ten years. Being trout guides we relished the opportunity to get out and away from the very waters we worked on every day. He and I both possess a wealth of knowledge relating to this areas smallmouth streams, and he would be a fantastic choice for anyone wishing to give it a whirl.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:05 PM

Gary, It sounds like you all had a great time. Randy is a really nice guy. I got to talk with him this last weekend at the South Holston Fly Fishing Fest. Hope to get out with him later this summer.

Mark