Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-26-2010, 11:27 AM

Default Deep Creek Advice

I go to Deep Creek at least once a year for 3 or 4 days car camping. The major activity for the trip is tubing. Since I picked up a fly rod last year I tried my hand at fishing a little during this years trip (last week of May). I had no luck. I know the lower part of deep creek (the tubing run) is not the most productive section of water but here is my problem.

1st - there was an old man flyfishing right through the lower campsite area who was pulling out a lot of fish. I did not get to talk to him long but he said he fishes that stretch a lot and after the first few tubes go by the fish do not even mind there presence.

2nd - All of my experience in fly-fishing is "plunge pool" fishing. I simply do not understand where to look on a creek such as the lower stretch of deep creek. The water stays consistently deep and wide for a very long stretch.

I am headed back to deep creek July 7-9 with my family, my brothers family, and my folks (14 people in all). The point of the trip is, of course, tubing - but I will have more time to fish this time.

Any advice would be wonderful, I am still very new to this whole fly-fishing thing. BTW, fishing higher or lower than the tubing run is not an option for this trip.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:11 PM

Josh--E-mail me at jimcasada@comporium.com and I'll get back to you in some detail. I wasn't the local you saw but could have been. The tubing area is actually full of trout. However, I can't abide the constant tube hatch so I fish it at daylight. You might want to consider Indian Creek. Tight quarters but full of small rainbows. I cover both streams in great detail in my book, since of all the creeks in the Park they are the ones I know the best. I basically spent my entire boyhood on them.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com