Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-24-2010, 05:31 PM

Default South Toe

I was fishing up near the South Toe in NC last weekend. I was wondering if anyone knew why the gate at the top was locked? After walking several miles down the road it seemed to be in perfect shape. There were even several new looking fancy bridges that looked like they had never even been used. Anyone know why they might have had the gate up top locked?
"Unless one can enjoy himself fishing with the fly, even when his efforts are unrewarded, he loses much real pleasure. More than half the intense enjoyment of fly-fishing is derived from the beautiful surroundings, the satisfaction felt from being in the open air, the new lease of life secured thereby, and the many, many pleasant recollections of all one has seen, heard and done." - Charles F. Orvis
Old 06-24-2010, 11:08 PM

That area was devastated by a couple hurricanes about 5 or 6 years ago. I can't remember exactly, but I think it might have been Francis and Ivan, or something like that. I'm not sure if the road has ever reopened? Did you walk in from the campground or the parkway? Was the fishing any good? I haven't heard many good reports from that area since the storm. The C & R section was always some pretty tough fishing anyway.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post
That area was devastated by a couple hurricanes about 5 or 6 years ago. I can't remember exactly, but I think it might have been Francis and Ivan, or something like that. I'm not sure if the road has ever reopened? Did you walk in from the campground or the parkway? Was the fishing any good? I haven't heard many good reports from that area since the storm.
I walked in from the parkway and believe me it was a heck of a walk back to the truck since it was almost all uphill. My legs are still sore. LOL But yeah the fishing was pretty good. Nothing of any size but I was probably getting a strike or a fish in at least every other pool. But yeah just thought it was kinda weird that they had it closed since the road was in perfect shape and the new bridges. Next time I go up in the area I am probably just going to walk from the campground since it will be a lot easier walk out.
"Unless one can enjoy himself fishing with the fly, even when his efforts are unrewarded, he loses much real pleasure. More than half the intense enjoyment of fly-fishing is derived from the beautiful surroundings, the satisfaction felt from being in the open air, the new lease of life secured thereby, and the many, many pleasant recollections of all one has seen, heard and done." - Charles F. Orvis
Old 06-25-2010, 08:08 AM

They have had plenty of time to fix the road. And, I would guess with the stimulus money, ample supply of money. It is my understanding that it is a political situation and certain folks with political clout want the road to remain closed. I understand it is likely to remain closed for some time.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:32 AM

I fished Right Prong last summer and the road was open and had been open for some time. Perhaps they were doing some maintenance or something??
Old 06-26-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
I fished Right Prong last summer and the road was open and had been open for some time. Perhaps they were doing some maintenance or something??
yeah maybe. I guess it could have just been the gate up top that was locked too. It was pretty good fishing though and is a beautiful stream.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:17 AM

Dave, you know as well as I there anit much in right prong. The main creek is better.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:15 PM

The road opened for a time after the floods, but was closed again for bridge construction.
Put me on the list of those that wish the road never opened again. I'd be tickled if that FS road was closed to vehicle traffic permanently.
Mark 1:17
Old 07-01-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrinG View Post
The road opened for a time after the floods, but was closed again for bridge construction.
Put me on the list of those that wish the road never opened again. I'd be tickled if that FS road was closed to vehicle traffic permanently.
Yeah i agree with ya since it keeps most people out. I just wonder out of curiosity if they would care if you took a 4 wheeler a long way down the road?
Old 07-02-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave7676 View Post
I just wonder out of curiosity if they would care if you took a 4 wheeler a long way down the road?
I'd feel safe to say that if you took riding up or down that road on an ATV it would not be very long until you were in the back seat of a Forest Service Law Enforcement vehicle, probably with a new pair of bracelets on.
Mark 1:17