Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-30-2010, 03:03 PM

Default Outside the Box

Spent a week fishing the waters around Elkmont two weeks ago in some of the hottest weather I can remember. This was a bonus trip since my fishing buddy and I usually spend a week up there the end of September. Since this was also a mental health trip we were not into early alarms. Had been keeping up with the Fishing Report and the the board but ended up doing most of our fishing around midday and afternoons. Met one fisherman who said he had moderate luck with a stimulator and a very small BHPT. While fishing mostly yellow dries we experience slow fishing. The last day of the trip I kicked a large grasshopper into the river from a patch of grass growing midstream. Went to my fly box and pulled out a yellow Madam X parachute pattern and said what the ****. What followed was an afternoon of great fishing. This was a size 10 behemoth but brought slashing strikes in almost every pool. Broke this fly off on a big fish and had to go to a bullet shaped hopper with red rubber legs. Fishing actually got better. My buddy wanted to fish my method and all I had left was a huge yellow foam hopper that my brother had given me from a trip to the Madison for big browns. He proceeded to catch an 11" bow and then borrowed my rod and pulled in a 13" bow from the very next pool. Since this was our last day on the water I don't know if this would be a pattern that would continue but I do know that I will restock my flybox before coming back in September. Don't be afraid to try something new and different.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:30 PM

Hoppers are my favorite terrestrial for fishing in the Park. There is a great article in this month's issue of American Angler about the different ways you can fish a hopper pattern. Sounds like you had a lot of fun! Don't you love it when things just fall into place like that?
Old 06-30-2010, 04:06 PM

I caught my biggest wild Brookie from the smokies 11 1/2 inches, on a size 10 Dave's Hopper back in 2002.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
Hoppers are my favorite terrestrial for fishing in the Park. There is a great article in this month's issue of American Angler about the different ways you can fish a hopper pattern. Sounds like you had a lot of fun! Don't you love it when things just fall into place like that?
Do you even fish anymore or do you have your sherpa do it?

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com

Last edited by GrouseMan77; 06-30-2010 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: Additional sarcasm
Old 07-01-2010, 12:28 PM

Glad you all had a good trip. It was a really hot week when you were here.

I've fished some hopper patterns at times in the park and I think that by adding the red rubber legs often help entice them to hit it.
I picked up this pattern several years ago from arricks fly shop in west yellowstone called the clodhopper. Its pretty easy to tie and I've tied them with yellow, green and tan dubbing to match the local hoppers during the season. I also like to use red med. round rubber legs instead of the sili legs in this demo.
Clod hopper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f66jZOcKRQ
Old 07-01-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
Do you even fish anymore or do you have your sherpa do it?
LoL. Yeah, I leave all my trout fishing to Juan Carlos while I just bait fish from a beach chair for channel cats at the lake!

I hope ya'll have fun this weekend. We'll be up at the Ferry's on Saturday...
Old 07-01-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
LoL. Yeah, I leave all my trout fishing to Juan Carlos while I just bait fish from a beach chair for channel cats at the lake!

I hope ya'll have fun this weekend. We'll be up at the Ferry's on Saturday...
Think we'll swing by there tomorrow night for a bit. I get in bed early so I can put a proper whoopin on those XX creek trout.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com