Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-02-2010, 06:59 PM

I think the best defense is to just live your life free. Who cares if someone is stealing and breaking in to vehicles......? Do what you want in life and follow your intentions. However; be mindful of leaving bags or curious things in view of the windows. There are many things that drive one to steal and most follow their instinct of money. If it looks like it is valuable or worth stealing; they will do so...Get decent insurance and be smart about leaving your vehicle in an odd place. If someone breaks in to it; hope that I am the guy who walks up on them....
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-02-2010, 07:00 PM

Talking

See below for photographs.

Last edited by oldhickory; 07-02-2010 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: bad url
Old 07-02-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Do what I do: Drive a piece of junk that looks worse than what they pulled up in.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:23 PM

Too hot for the dog right now, besides he lays on the bank in the shade:

Old 07-02-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhickory View Post

Wow...that's a little uglier than mine!
Old 07-03-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhickory View Post

Sweet Ride!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-03-2010, 09:41 AM

I'm with Shawn on this one. I don't worry too much about it. Stuff can be replaced and any stuff that cannot be replaced really shouldn't be out in plain sight in a car parked on a remote stretch of road (or even a busy stretch of road, a thief will break into your car on a busy road just as well as a back road.).

Now, I do't leave half a dozen rod tubes on the back seat, or a gear bag out in the open with a bunch of stuff in it. Nor do I leave a guitar case on the seat an go off fishing (first it's really bad for the guitar on hot and really cold days and second, I don't want one of my good guitars stolen).

I would say just try to be smart about it and don't invite a break in by leaving stuff that looks valuable out in the open. But, don't spend too much time worrying about it. If you have insurance, after the deductable is paid, the stuff can be replaced.

Yes, I have had my car broken into twice. Yes, I was angry. Yes, I felt violated. No, I would not want it to happen to me or anyone else again.

The first time, the thief got a radar detector and took my rear view mirror (go figure). The second time, they took a smoking pipe (nice briar tobacco pipe), some tobacco and about 80 cents of change in the center console and about 30 CD's of bluegrass music. (really, bluegrass?). They I'm sure didn't read the title, they just grabbed the CD's and ran.

One thing I did learn after that, I keep the originals of my CD collection at home and burn copies to keep in my car. If they steal the copy, no big loss, I just spend .50 and burn another.

So, back to the original post, if you want to put fly fishing stickers on your car, go for it. I doubt if it's going to make your car any more or less attractive to a thief.

Jeff
Old 07-04-2010, 12:12 AM

Stickers are definitely terrible because people will STEAL your best fishing spots when they see you always parked there. Be stealthy so no one notices where you are fishing and you should always be able to fish there.
Found a couple of bait guys on a particularly good hole in the park one time... They had mastered this technique...there wasn't a car pulled off on the side of LR road for at least a half mile each way...very stealthy for sure...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com