Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-05-2010, 01:47 AM

Dude I think you may be taking this a bit too seriously. Folks are just giving you their opinions to try and help you with experiences they have had. I have seen no one quarelling here at all and I don't think anyone minds in the least if you call them specks, brooks, char, or whatever. This forum is very laid back and most everyone here is just trying to be helpful. By the way what the heck is "team edward and team jacob"?

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 07-05-2010, 07:13 AM

dalerio--I think you are missing one of the great delights of this forum; namely, the way it opens up matters for thoughtful discussion. That's precisely what you did when you raised the issue of rod length, and to my way of thinking you deserve kudos for that and certainly don't need to be incredulous about "all the fuss". Indeed, your most recent post raises other intrigung possibilities such as whether folks care about the size of the fish (I think, deep down, virtually every angler likes to catch trophy-siized trout); whether catching fish makes any difference (again, I doubt whether you would continue to fish if you never, ever caught anything); preference for small streams (I share this to a considerable degree, but primarily because they are less likely to be crowded); your view of angling history (I would adamantly disagree that old-timers fished solely in order to catch fish for food); dislike of trout on the table (unless you have had freshly caught specks fried at streamside while adorned in cornbread dinner jackets, I think you've lived a life of culinary deprivation); a deeply rooted love for tradition such as calling brook trout specks happens to be integral to the mountain way of life, and I for one m not aobut to deny my heritage and love for my heartland even though I know outside folks use diferent verbiage; etc. So there you have presented a whole bunch of discussion topics just from your last post.
You seem to have gotten quite upset because yours truly, along with others, had various thoughts they expressed with conviction. We are all too blessed to be stressed, so take this forum for what the dictionary definition of the word will tell you it is--a place for an exchange of ideas and information.
Obviously I somehow upset you, even though I went back and checked to see if I had been in any way immoderate. I don't think I was, and I hope you will take my postings and those of others in the context in which they are offered; namely, as thoghtful information or a search for information and insight.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 07-05-2010, 08:41 AM

I have a couple of really sweet 7 ft bamboo rods which I love to cast in the mountain streams. I'm not into dabbling for trout or bow and arrow casts. I love the feel of the cast. I get half my enoyment just from making the cast which is a good thing because the other half, catching trout, is usually somewhat lacking. For me, the shorter rod that I can cast without whacking the vegetation is my preference. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 07-05-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalerio View Post
ever see the heartland series show with the old men using cane poles and flies. can't remember their names. bo-han-nun. he also talked about catching and raising bears for meat. one bout got him feeding it with chained in the barn. also where i seen the georges nymph tied one show.

i was wondering who uses them and what kind and kinda how an why. i read some on it and they say hook sets are harder to get without supersharp hooks. what else is bad about them

Boy, if someone here could find me a video link for this I would love to see it. I've looked on the internet but can't find it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:16 AM

He he...Pandoras box! Good question and lots of fun to read the knowledgable responses. For me, I like a tiny rod when I get to where the laurel is hanging too far over the creek. I can use it to sling shot under the foliage. If I have a clear shot to cast, I like a longer rod. It just depends on how tight it is.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:16 PM

Guess I'll jump into the fray For the majority of my fishing in the Smokies I use a 3/4 9' graphite I built a few years back, or a 8 1/2' 4 weight St. Croix Imperial. I like the longer rods on the bigger streams (Greenbriar, WPLP, Deep Creek, etc.) for one major reason, they are a lot better for high sticking and minimizing drag. I have a 7 1/2 2 weight that I built that I use a fair amount on waters that contain mainly specs and smaller bows. It's good dry fly rod and gives the smaller fish a chance to bend the rod a little. Seems silly to me to use a 5 weight when the average fish is 5-6". I like a little sport when fishing and I still have no problem getting them landed in less than a minute. I have 6 1/2 4 weight, 3 pc Avid that I use on the smaller waters and sometimes larger ones as well just for kicks.

As others have said, it's all about enjoyment and using a rod that fits your style on a particular stream. It's all good as long as we are having fun!

Neal
Old 07-05-2010, 02:20 PM

Mr. Casada,

you nor anybody else made me mad. i just was afraid somebody might get mad. i am sorry if it sounded like that. i come back to the post to read about what kind of short rods people are using and how they like them. you actually told "Wvbrookie--I pretty much totally disagree,". i love you guys/gals. you and others in a post about short rods and their use talking against them may make some who do use them not want to respond out of fear of startin something.
also
1)i have a 3month old and had only 6 hr.s sleep in 3 days

2)i had a headache
3)i used to go on a turkey call making web page and people, just went plumb crazy. people ended up spliting off to another site
4)HAVE YOU NEVER HEARD OF TWILGHT the series. my wife has read every book and so on. i am particular to werewolves and i am a conservative/libartarian

the tiger eye blanks, that is the point of the post i have never heard of them before. troutman i love the pic of that smallie. and thanks to everybody for responding.....

Last edited by dalerio; 07-05-2010 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: the reason for my no sleep wife works nights
Old 07-05-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
the tiger eye blanks, that is the point of the post i have never heard of them before.
Delario,
My son has a 9' 4/5wt built on a Tiger Eye blank and he just loves it. The action is what I would call medium. It's not fast nor is it slow. For my style of casting, it's just about perfect. Since my son learned casting from me (including too many of my bad habits) it would make sense that he would like a similar action rod to what I use.

The blank is also very pretty and just love the root bear color.

if the one you're looking at is as nice as the one my son has, you'll be happy with it (assuming you like medium action rods).

Hope this helps

Jefrf
Old 07-05-2010, 07:49 PM

[QUOTE=dalerio;82703]Mr. Casada,

you actually told "Wvbrookie--I pretty much totally disagree," [QUOTE]

Although I've never met Mr. Casada, I have the utmost respect for him and took no offense to that comment. I read his book late last year and was blown away by his knowledge of the subject matter! You also have to respect the amount of time and research he put into it!

However, in my short (< 10 years) of fly fishing I've added a few credentials to my bio and have had a lifetime of experiences myself. I've caught brook trout in 11 different states, and my personal Salmonid species life list is over 15 species (hope to add 11 more later this summer). Like I said, I do OK with my short rod. It's not the size of your tool, it's how you use it.

I just happen to respectfully disagree with the need for a long rod. If everyone enjoyed the same things as I do, the small streams would be a lot more crowded. Hence, to each their own.

I'm sure not going to break my rod down every time the stream gets so rugged that I have to get out of the water to move upstream. Regardless if it is rhododendron on the east coast or fallen timber in the Rockies, it's just not practical.

Chris
Old 07-05-2010, 08:18 PM

WVbrookie,

i know but some people get crazy about these things, stupid little stuff. i respect mr. casada always make sure and read anything that he talks about.

WVbrookie or anybody else...

do you overline or underline the rod, shorter than normal leaders, what are any problems or different little things have you noticed with a shorter rod? what about the reduced weight of a small rod. i see some rods are like 2 oz. how would the feel of casting be with say a 5 oz. reel on it?

this is the kind of stuff i was wanting to know.