Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-08-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
Eagle Claw? I have a 6-1/2 foot, 5 wt. I got when the old Walmart moved. Got it for $10!!!! Wish I had bought the whole lot! Good rod.
whats the action like slow,med,fast?
how bout the weight? in pics it looks like a beast....
i read somewhere and don't believe everything i read that its best to overline it like 2 sizes?
Old 07-09-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalerio View Post
whats the action like slow,med,fast?
how bout the weight? in pics it looks like a beast....
i read somewhere and don't believe everything i read that its best to overline it like 2 sizes?

I have a bunch of fiberglass rods love em. I have a 6'6" Eagle Claw 6wt that is by far not a beast. It's more like a slow 4wt. The great thing about a good glass rod is it will do so many things well. I have a Fenwick FF756 7'6" 6wt made in the early 70's, that I can cast a heavy clouser with and with a 5wt line it will lay a dry fly out as well as any 4wt I ever sene, and a 10" smallmouth is a good fight but it will land fish twice that big with no trouble.
Tom
Old 07-11-2010, 03:02 AM

On the small wild trout brooks & streams here in Connecticut I fish a 6 foot 3 weight Hardy Glass called "The Brook". I have RIO Selective Trout II 3 wt. line in camo green and a Sage Click III reel on it. Casts great. Love it!
I've taken everything from 6" brookies...

... to 17" wild browns on it. :-)
Old 07-11-2010, 07:17 AM

My favorite small-stream outfit is:
Sage DS2 7.5ft 4wt
Lamson Radius 1.5
Cortland 444 "Peach" WF4F

The Sage rod is soft enough to bow-n-arrow cast like a dream but still enough backbone to roll cast wonderfully and if I put a little "Umph" into it with a double-haul, it will throw alot of line in the air if needed. 6" specs feel great on it too.

For small-stream fishing, I'll take a short(er) rod every time.
Mark 1:17
Old 07-11-2010, 09:56 AM

Thumbs up

Dalerio, I've got one of those Eagle claw yellow featherlight glass rods. I have the 6'6" 5wt. I would not consider it a good rod for fishing brookie streams with. It is a med action rod, 2 piece butt over tip connection which makes it pretty stiff up to the ferrule and then whippy to the tip. Not a smooth flexing rod by design but for $15 there is has not been a lot of engineering put into it .
It needs another stripper added between the main one and the first guide because of the spacing, you get line to blank slap. The rod fishes best with a 6wt for me so hence , its more of a small bass and bream rod for small poppers rather than a dry fly rod on tight brushy streams. its tough to lay out a soft cast at 10-15 ft distances wit a 6wt line without spooking a pool of wary trout.
I only use it now to decorate the mancave. Its one of the older models with the metal reelseat (no longer made). more of a conversation piece.

I was really surprised to read that so many on here enjoy the shorter rods. So much has been written on the benefits of only using a long fly rod and you rarely read articles by anyone using anything else. I do fish shorter rods of 6-7.5ft quite often and like I said, it is because enjoy them. I do have and fish 9 and even 10 ft rods in the park streams. No one could discount their effectiveness to high stick nymph or dabble a dry fly across multiple currents. Me, I'm not into numbers or sizes anymore when fishing the parks streams. I usually will decide when I get to the stream whether I want to fish dry flies only or if the water conditions or time of year are not favorable to that, I take my long rod and high stick nymphs. If its springtime with the multitude of hatches coming off or summer with beetles and ants in the water, then its an easy choice for me to take the little 6.5 ft 3wt.
Have fun and enjoy whatever you use.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:45 PM

I have the answer for the plethora of conditions the streams of the Southern Appalachians present. A telescoping rod that can be adjusted to fit any fisherman's preference for any conditions, all for the low price of 2 payments of 79.95 plus shiping.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:58 PM

Flyman,

Billy Mays didn't have anything on you
Old 07-11-2010, 05:59 PM

FLYMAN--You are too much! I think you may have missed your calling (and I don't know what it is). You should be one of the following: (1) Snake oil salesman, (2) Televangelist, (3) Shell game shark, (4) All-round con man.
Incidentally, somewhere in a closet I have one of the rods you picture. Mine is precisely as useful as (1) Mammaries on a boar hog, (2) A .22 rifle for elephant hunting, or (3) 30-pound test monofilament for tippet material.
Thanks for the chuckle.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 07-11-2010, 11:43 PM

Apache Trout, what fly is ib the mouth of the 6" brookie?

Tom
Old 08-21-2010, 09:49 PM

tntom, Sorry for the late reply to your question. Just saw it.
It's a streamer I tied which I named "Officer Max" after my late father who was a police officer & the first person to take me fishing.
I tie it on a size 12 & 14 streamer hooks. Olive thread. Wrap some wire on hook shank for weight. Tan floss over wire. I tie two mallard flank feathers on each side: yellow mayfly over wood duck color. I do a mixed colored beard/throat with a few strands each of red, black & yellow bucktail.
Looks like a juvenile brookie when wet, don't it. Those cannibals love it. ;-)

Last edited by Apache Trout; 08-22-2010 at 11:01 AM..