Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-05-2010, 02:27 PM

Default furled leaders....

who likes them, who uses them. i have one tied from tying thread and one from mono. i wrapped flouresent red tying thread on the mono one in the middle as a strike indicator. i love them. the tying thread one is alittle hard to get used to but works great. i find it great fishing in the smokies. and tying new tippet on is a breeze.

let the war begin.......LOL just kidding
Old 07-05-2010, 02:34 PM

That's funny right there. I don't care who ya are!
Old 07-05-2010, 02:51 PM

Just started fishing the twisted mono type leader. I've used them on bass flies and trout flies. They work great. I can't say the twisted mono is all that much better than a tapered mono leader or a braided butt leader, but they are a heck of a lot cheaper. Gives me heartburn to pay $4 bucks for a tapered mono leader. I have not tried a true furled leader so I can't speak there, except it looks like a lot of work. Silvercreek
Old 07-05-2010, 04:26 PM

I have a furled leader on every rod I have, from a 3wt to a 9wt and some are uni-thread and others are mono..
Old 07-05-2010, 06:50 PM

I've been using the same one on a 3wt for 3 years now. I love them. I use the store bought ones from Feather Craft. The little metal ring is sweet.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwalla View Post
I've been using the same one on a 3wt for 3 years now. I love them. I use the store bought ones from Feather Craft. The little metal ring is sweet.
how well do they float with the ring? i use a silicone paste on mine after i clean them to keep them floating good. i found a page showing how to make a welded loop on your fly line and since then thats all i use.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:44 PM

dalerio,

So what's next, mono vs. fluorocarbon or bamboo vs. graphite vs. fiberglass? Anyway, I have been using a furled leader (store-bought) for about a year now and I really like it. Saves me a ton of time on the water, not having to splice tippet on my vanishing mono tapered leader. And I've found that it floats the tippet out there much more nicely than the mono tapered leader. Not to mention lasting a really long time and having no coil memory. Takes a little bit of experimentation as to how much tippet to tie on but I'm definitely a furled kind of guy.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 07-05-2010, 09:20 PM

I started using furled leaders a couple of years ago, loved them, but got frustrated with the dealing with the loop on the blue sky, so I changed to mono tapered. Then last fall it dawned one me how to deal with tying tippet to the loop. Now I tie a quick perfection loop in my tippet and use a handshake connection. Easy to remove and change tippet now.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:01 PM

I like furled leaders for fishing dry flies and poppers. still use a regular tapered or hand tied leader for streamers and nymphs.

They are 4ft long and when you add tippet to the tiny ring, you get a leader about 7ft.
I use a size #2 for 3-5wt rods and a size #4 for my 7wt. and bass poppers.
Have only seen them sold in one particular fly shop in G-burg. Handmade in Olympia , WA.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:21 PM

troutman, they make a flourocarbon tied leader just for streamers. you ever thought about tryin one them out. nvr2L8, hahahaha.........speakin of the other post. i find the furled mono leaders makes the short cast alot easier with my 8ft. rod fishing in the smokies. it turns over like a dream but if you hang a fly and break the tippet off it makes a mess. alittle work and shes ready to go.... Vern, i tie a surgeons loop....