Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-05-2010, 11:42 PM

Vern, to add to the comment Dalerio was making...tie a loop on the end of your furled leader and then tie your tippets to the loop (rather than the furled leader). When you get too many left over knots on the loop or you break the loop, you can just tie on an new loop...works like a champ. I have one furled leader on a 3wt line that I've had for 4 years now...

They are especially great when working with beginners...its one less thing to worry about when they get wind knots in their tippets or they keep tying on new flies ... Just tie on some new tippet material...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 07-06-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalerio View Post
how well do they float with the ring? i use a silicone paste on mine after i clean them to keep them floating good. i found a page showing how to make a welded loop on your fly line and since then thats all i use.
I haven't seen any issues. The ring is on the tippet end. The flyline to leader is a loop.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:00 PM

I recently bought a streamside mystic creek furled leader (5.5 ft) and have been trying it out. I thought it was a bit too long and would have liked a 4.5 foot one better. The tippet ring seemed to sink a few inches under after using a while. Also it seemed very light and would constantly get wrapped around the end of my rod while I was doing something like applying dry shake to my fly so I abandoned using it. Where do you guys that buy your furled leaders get them?

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 07-06-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
I Where do you guys that buy your furled leaders get them?

I've been using the Feather Craft 3' for small stream stuff.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:38 PM

Thanks John those look good. What tippet length would you tie on to that using a dry on a small stream and do you see the tippet ring sink if you don't treat it?

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 07-06-2010, 01:05 PM

Depending on the size of the stream, I'll use 2 to 3 feet of tippet. As far as the ring sinking, never really noticed. But I'm too busy watching the fly to notice much.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:28 PM

I have been using Orvis's braided leaders for years now in the mountains. They're are a little expensive, but they last a long time, and cast well at shorter distances. I tried a furled leader, I wasn't real impressed and switched back to braided leaders. I need to try the furled again to make sure I just wasn't having a a bad day on the water

Neal
Old 07-07-2010, 12:32 PM

Pete
I was tying a extra loop, but the extra knot was just one more place the tippet on a dropper would find because I tend to throw a tailing loop. With the perfection loop when I change tippet I clip the loop off above the knot and pick the handshake knot apart. I use UV Knot on my perfection knot to smooth it out. So now I have way less problems with the tailing loop tangling my dropper. Of course I could work harder at solving the tailing loop, but that would require casting in the yard and we don't have any Brookies in my back yard in Nashville. But I have had a few rises from my neighbors cat. But have never got it all the way in hand!
I do have a problem with keeping the furled floating, toward the end of the day I start coating it with paste, do any of you have a better answer?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:58 PM

vern,

make sure and wash it good after each fishing trip then treat with paste is what i do.

guys i found a web site video to make your own leaders check it out may try one latter today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcVa...layer_embedded
Old 07-07-2010, 01:08 PM

Default Tailing loops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
I was tying a extra loop, but the extra knot was just one more place the tippet on a dropper would find because I tend to throw a tailing loop....
...Of course I could work harder at solving the tailing loop, but that would require casting in the yard and we don't have any Brookies in my back yard in Nashville. But I have had a few rises from my neighbors cat. But have never got it all the way in hand!
Vern, That's pretty funny...I always get weird looks when I'm outside practicing casting. Usually someone will drive by and ask if I'm catching anything...

I also used to have a problem with a tailing loop, but somehow in the last year year I've lost it...not that I want it back, but I'm not sure what I'm doing differently that has finally removed mine...almost twenty years of flyfishing and I still can't cast worth a hoot...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."