Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 07-06-2010, 12:11 AM

Default camera

I'd like to find a halfway decent waterproof camera to take along while fly fishing. I am not (and never will be) a photographer. To me, taking pictures gets in the way of whatever activity it is that I'm enjoying. That being said I'd sure like to have pics of some of those beautiful specks I caught this past weekend.

Not being a photographer, could anyone recommend a cheap, decent waterproof camera? (I suppose if I can't have both cheap and decent, then one or the other will be fine, but I must have waterproof and preferrably sorta shock proof too)

Oh, someone also recommended a little kodak video camcorder thing that's waterproof. That's kinda neat. If it took decent stills I'd consider it also, and would be interested to hear if anyone has experience with it. I think its the "ZX3"

--Matt
Old 07-06-2010, 08:08 AM

Matt, I got a Pentax Optio 80 a couple of months ago. It's water, and shock proof. Pentax introduced the W90, so I found a deal on the W80. Around $175 total. They may be cheaper now if you can find them. There has been some discussion on cameras on the Southeast Fly Fishing forum. Check out Dixielandelights postings if you want to see what the W80 can do. Fuji has introduced a new camera which I believe is around $160, but I have seen no reviews for it.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:40 AM

Are you happy with the W80?
Old 07-06-2010, 08:47 AM

Yes except for the fact that since I started carrying it I have not caught a decent fish to take a pic of! Seriously, check out the post of Dixielandelight on the forum I referenced. The camera also has a closeup capability of something like 1cm. Silvercreek
Old 07-07-2010, 04:46 PM

My wife has a Pentax Optio (I think it's the 80) waterproof and shock proof and likes it just fine.

I have an Olympus 790SW (Olympus' waterproof and shock proof) and it's also a great camera. I think the Olympus versions have new model numbers but the overall camera looks to be essentially the same.

Now, here's why I like the Olympus better. The Pentax does not have a lens cover. I'm concerned about the lens getting all scratched up in the pocket of my vest. The Olympus has a little metal flap that closes over the lens when the power is turned off.

Other than the lens cap thing, the quality of the photographs for both are about the same. The Pentax has a slightly better macro capability for taking close up photos of flies, but other than that, very little difference.

Jeff
Old 07-07-2010, 04:51 PM

I just got a Olympus tough 8010, it is awesome, takes video underwater that is awesome, pics are killer but it is an expensive camera. I destroy electronic stuff, phones, cameras, stereos, anything electronic on my boat, so I had to get something I can smash, so far the thing is killer and underwater releases of fish are sooo cool looking, they make a lesser expensive in the "tough" series I would check em out, oh and you can get this sweet arm floaty thing that snaps on if you are in deep water/boating, I shot vidoe snorkeling in Mex. turned out great, and the videos of me bowing and tarpon flying are worth that $$

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 07-07-2010, 04:53 PM

That lens cap thing would be valuable. I fret over the lens, actually the glass lens cover, getting scratched. After reading a post on another forum about a guy who scratch his, I fret even more. A good consideration. Silvercreek
Old 07-07-2010, 05:26 PM

I have been looking at the newer Olympus versions... I have heard some great things about them...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-07-2010, 05:54 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I need to save my pennies...
Old 07-07-2010, 08:49 PM

For what its worth, this is how dpreview had them rated...its a Q2 2009 review so its a bit dated. ie. the Olympus Tough 8010 and Pentax W90 are not covered.

Best of the bunch: Canon Powershot D10, Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1, Pentax Optio W60
Middle of the road: Pentax Optio W80, Olympus Tough 6000
Bottom of the class: Olympus Tough 8000, Fujifilm Z33 WP

Here's some discussion in the conclusion section....

"Features aside, when you are purchasing a camera, what you really want to know is which camera will consistently produce the best image quality. And on that front this review quickly turned into a story of two groups of cameras, with the Canon D10 and Panasonic TS1 producing better results than all the other cameras in this group, and the TS1 producing the best high ISO image quality. It was also interesting to see that the Pentax W60 was not that far behind the image quality leaders at lower ISO settings.
The four other cameras in this group are not completely useless; certainly if you only need to produce small (5x7) prints or display images online, then all of these cameras will produce decent enough results. But considering that most of these lenses only extend to 100mm on the telephoto end, there may be situations where you might want to crop the image (and all these cameras allow you to do this in camera), or if there is that once-in-a-lifetime shot that you capture that you want to print really big it's nice to know you've got the best image quality available for your money."

By the way, I have the Olympus 850SW and it has taken some nice pictures. I don't know how it compares with the Olympus Tough series.