Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-10-2010, 01:16 PM

Default Fly Fishing in Destin

Woke up at around 6:00 am this morning and headed out to the beack to try my luck at fly fishing from shore. I have done it here a few other times and have caught countless needlefish, a few small ladyfish, and one bluefish. I started out with a small clouser miinnow that was gray/white and #10. First casy i hooked a big ladyfish that broke me off. Then a few big schools of glass minnows were pushed up right next to the beack by predator fish. My first cast in there rewarded me with my first fly caught bonita which was a big surprise. After a few mor casts i hooked a ladyfish and caught him. He was an ok sized one. I went back to our place and woke my dad up and told him the news. He said he would be down in a few. When i got back down there was another school of glass minnows being tormented. I threw my clouser a few times and hooked a few fish but the kept getting off. They have very tough mouthes which require hard hooksets. I started setting it harder and caught another ladyfish. After releasing that one, my dad met me and started fishing. As I was taking seaweed off of my fly, i looked over and saw a few ladyfish busting the surface. I casted at them and hooked up the biggest ladyfish i have ever seen. He took me way out to almost the end of my backing. I had to tighten the drag a bung to stop him. After a few more big runs and 10 minutes i got him in. He was at least 28" and by far my biggest fly-caught fish. He put up quite the fight on a 6 wt. My dad and i were both catching ladyfish right and left. We had a few double hook ups and were cheered on by the BP volunteers. Overall i caught around 20 fish. It was a great time!

Old 07-10-2010, 04:56 PM

Pictures at http://s765.photobucket.com/albums/x...21.jpg&newest=

http://s765.photobucket.com/albums/x...9.jpg&newest=1
Old 08-14-2010, 10:29 PM

Great story Rainbow! Nice pics, too. I tried fly fishing in Destin in May for the first time with no luck. I will try again, hopefully with results more like yours.

Congrats!

Rick
Old 08-14-2010, 11:03 PM

Thumbs up

Great job! Nics pics too. I'll be down that way myself soon. Hopefully i'll be able to get into some fish like those. I've fished down there twice, and only hooked into some small Jack Crevalles, still fun times though. Were any of those caught on topwater flies?

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."