Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-13-2010, 06:22 PM

PeteCz--Thanks. I guess words for nickels has some merit from a creative perspective. Actually, they have made me wealthy. Not in terms of livelihood but in providing a rich lifestyle. Also, I noticed a typo in the post you quoted, as I often do. Rest assured I am grammatically and stylistically more aware than my posts sometimes show. It's just too much trouble to proofread them, and if this forum has a spell checking function it has eluded me.
P. S. I'm sitting in an upstairs window looking out over the Tuckasegee River valley towards the Alarka Mountains, watching it rain and listening to the sound of that rain on a tin roof. Mighty soothing stuff, and doubly so given how much the moisture is needed.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 07-13-2010, 06:23 PM

Alright, you're on. Thanks, really, I just kinda enjoy it. I drew a Bobwhite several years ago with charcoal, I'll have to post up a pic. of that.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:26 PM

BlueRaiderFan--Rest assured you'll never become an expert trout stalker. You'll just become more expert than you are now. At least that's my view. After 62 years of doing it I think I've graduated from kindergarten, but it's possible it was a social promotion. Mastery of trout fishing is a relative concept, and one of the sport's great glories is that there's always room to better yourself. Horace Kephart is not one of my favorite figures, although I've written a great deal about him, but he was spot on when he wrote, "in the school of the outdoors there is no graduation day."
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors
Old 07-13-2010, 06:49 PM

Mr. Casada,

I have no doubt that that is good advice I still can't catch em when others can, so I know I have a long way to go to become even proficient, but it sure is fun trying
Old 07-13-2010, 06:54 PM

He sure was Jim, that's ideal. You know I just finished the chapter about Kephart in Frome's book and I still understand very little about him. He sounded like a troubled soul although it seems he did some good things. I also looked at the info. on the UT website about him just trying to find some info. about him other than his own work.
Glad you're getting some rain, we need some here so bad. Looks like a slight chance of thunder showers here soon.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:46 PM

Thumbs up I think it's Great

No Offense but I really like the cartoonish character. I think it would sell based on that.
IMHO it's a really good use of the medium, absolutely appropo. The STYLE FITS the rock perfectly.
I cannot wait to see a whole series!

I've been looking for the right thing to paint my Westie onto, afraid nothing short of a Rock from a Scottish Cairn will do though!

Keep at it!
Old 07-26-2010, 04:08 PM

None taken plunker, I've never attempted one before so it was a trial run. Here's another I did a couple of days later:

Old 07-26-2010, 08:52 PM

Pretty good...like the Brookie a lot better.
I did something similar on the side of an Old Timey tool box a few years back...sadly don't have a pic anymore.
Is that some kind of shale you are usin...looks like it would suck up paint like a sponge though.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:13 AM

No, it's gray flint, the same used for knapping arrowheads.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:15 AM

Red face Speaking of rocks...

On our trip to the smokys this past April, my brother and I saw numerous instances of little stacked monoliths up many of the creeks we fished in.

Saw them up Treemont, Elkmont, and a couple of places on LR...they were some of the creepiest/coolest things we saw.

Never once thought to take a pic of some of them, cause I kept looking over my shoulders for the "stick" men shhh shhh shhh, ah ah ahh.

Kind of a Smoky version of the Blair Witch awooooooo

I wonder if there are any books on supernatural legends of the area?

(Course I KNOW this is bound to start the "Banjo" music responses )
But it's fun to consider, for instance...I wouldnt be caught dead creeping around the elkmont houses, alone and at night)

(dey iz some Haint's up in dem woods fo sho)