Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-16-2010, 12:08 AM

Default A Gathering of Fly Fishers In Oct.

Hmmm, That sort of sounds like a bunch of Orvis sponsored guys getting togather for a photo op!!

It's just a great bunch of friends, and soon to be friends, meeting up in Townsend the weekend of Oct. 8th, 9th, & 10th for some great fun. We are mostly from another Fly Fishing Board and try to get togather as often as possible in new places.

I fell in love with Townsend when there for the TroutFest, a not to be missed event, and have been back a couple of times.

At a recent Fish-In in Michigan I mentioned meeting up in Townsend. The response was "When!". Well at last count there are 22 of us booked into Dock's motel and Tally Ho.

Townsend offers much more than just fly fishing so most of the guys are bringing the wife along.

I only hope I can convince them to go home!!
Old 07-16-2010, 01:20 PM

Default Gathering of fly flingers

Sounds good! This will precede the Disney cruise. SWMBO put the guilt trip on me about the grandkids. I see them everyday- not like they are in California! I'll check the calendar and confirm. Great idea for a yearly gathering!

Last edited by Knothead; 07-16-2010 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-07-2010, 09:20 AM

The last count is 32 attendees with 26 staying at Docks Motel.
So far they are coming from MI, IN, MS, KY, VA, WV, GA, OH, CT and of course TN.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:24 PM

Default a bunch of Orvis sponsored guys getting togather for a

This is not meant to be a pass at the poster or anyone in particular but I am curious why it's always appropriate to bash Orvis. I for one like Orvis and their products are very good in my opinion. They are not overpriced either. Sure they have rods and reels for the high end market, but which brand doesn't. They also have many items for the budget conscious angler. Their tippet and leaders are a great buy and the coupons they send out are magnificent. I guess it's just one of those catchphrases that stuck. Bash Orvis just because. Orvis actually do lot of good things with fund raising for different projects nationwide. I am not paid or encouraged by Orvis by any means but I get a little tired of the notion that if you fish with Orvis stuff it's somehow dirty.

For the record I don't own a single Orvis rod but I do buy other stuff from them and I have nothing but good to say about their operation.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:56 PM

Jack,
My son, Daniel and I will be there. My mom and dad will be there Friday night and Saturday night too. Daniel and I are there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights leaving Monday.

We don't get to spend a lot of time with my mom and dad, especially on a weeked away so our evenigns will most likely be with them but we will most definately be stopping by the festivities and especially the fishing.

We're staying across the street and down a little ways at the Econo Lodge.

Jeff
Old 08-07-2010, 10:29 PM

Default Orvis bashing

I wonder about this too.

Go into a local shop, strike up a conversation with the owner, exchange pleasantries and generally get on the road to knowing one another. Of course the topic of gear comes up and as soon as I mention Helios, bang, we're off to the races. Rods, reels, waders, nothing is off limits. It's all bad!

Okay, I can understand a guy pushing his brand that he stocks in his shop but come on, it can't be all that different and so much better. Actually what he has done is shoot himself in the foot because now I am starting to get somewhat PO'ed and ready to head on back up to Sevierville.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Townsend offers much more than just fly fishing so most of the guys are bringing the wife along
"Going to a party with your wife is like going fishing with the game warden"- Unknown
I won't know about the gathering until later.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
"Going to a party with your wife is like going fishing with the game warden"- Unknown
I won't know about the gathering until later.

My personal favorites:

If you treat your wife like a thoroughbred, you'll never end up with a nag.
Zig Ziglar

Many marriages would be better if the husband and the wife clearly understood that they are on the same side.
Zig Ziglar

My most brilliant achievement was my ability to be able to persuade my wife to marry me.
Winston Churchill

A man who is eating or lying with his wife or preparing to go to sleep in humility, thankfulness and temperance, is, by Christian standards, in an infinitely higher state than one who is listening to Bach or reading Plato in a state of pride.
C. S. Lewis

There are three faithful friends - an old wife, an old dog, and ready money.
Benjamin Franklin
Old 08-08-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
There are three faithful friends - an old wife, an old dog, and ready money.
Blue - you are a far braver man than I to say the word "Old" and "wife" in the same sentence.

My wife of nearly 28 years and my son are my 2 best friends. Where I have gotten old and gray, she has grown more beautiful every day.

Jeff
Old 08-08-2010, 07:53 PM

I didn't say it! It was Ben Franklin