Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-18-2010, 10:52 PM

Default 7-18-10 Road Prong Fish Fry

Well I finally creeled, cleaned, and cooked my first GSMNP trout. I been looking forward to this since I took this sport up. Been catching a bunch of fish up there lately, but either don't have time to creel or forget my gear to creel when I do manage to catch legal fish. Today was the day though.

I went up to Road Prong and fished with a Juror from my last jury duty obligation on 7-16 and we fished bridge 3 to 4. I caught a couple of small brookies and lost a bunch of flies to fish this day. They were hitting on yellow sallies and red copper johns for me this day. I had a good day, but wouldn't be able to get home this day in time to keep a fish from going bad. He taught me a few new things and I started fishing better as the day went on. I also had a good lesson with a friend on 7-17 that helped me get my cast a lot better, testing out a helios this day really made me see how I WANT that rod. LOL.

So skip to today, I headed up there by myself. I started off at bridge 3 again and immediately started catching brookies using the same rig as two days before. The heavens opened up on me at some point and I got really soaked most of the day. I was just catch and releasing for the most of the trip because I knew I would be back there a few hours and didn't want a fish to go to waste. (How long can a fish last in a nonchilled creel, just water for cooling?) Once I started getting near bridge 4, I planned to start creeling. That's when I caught this booger.

He was 8 inches and looked very edible. I creeled him and started looking for one of his brothers. Unfortunately, I kept getting ones too small. I made it to bridge 4 without a second fish for dinner.

I was walking back to the trailhead when I decided to stop at bridges 1/2 and fish for a little bit to see if I could land me another fish for dinner. I switched to yellow para and tellico bh. Well it didn't take long and I landed this 9 inch bow. I got a few other small bows on, but nothing else legal.

I would of kept fishing, but another storm rolled through and drenched me again and I decided to call it a day and go make some dinner.

Here is one of em ready to eat.

Soaked in egg/mustard/Tony's, rolled in corn meal, and brought to a nice golden brown in peanut oil.

WOW, they were delicious. I'm ready for some more.

Last edited by Trip; 07-19-2010 at 08:32 AM..
Old 07-19-2010, 08:50 AM

Nice, man. Was there a noticeable taste difference between the rainbow and the char?
Old 07-19-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish4wildtrout View Post
Nice, man. Was there a noticeable taste difference between the rainbow and the char?
I would like to say yes, but not really. I think I will try grilling them next time. I think the fry and oil really cancelled out any taste difference that I could tell anyway.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:59 PM

Hey Trip,

How long did it take you to fish from the 3rd to 4th bridge? We did 4th to 5th and took about 5 hours.

Great looking fish. Made me hungry.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 07-20-2010, 02:37 PM

Cardfly--You (and others) obviously fish a lot slower than I do. I've always believed that in streams the size of Road Prong, with rare exceptions, a few casts per pool and then move on is the way to go. In five hours I will cover well over a mile (if I don't change flies a lot and if I don't get some gollywhopper knots which require "down" time--increasingly, as my vision worsens, those "ifs" come into play).
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 07-20-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfly View Post
Hey Trip,

How long did it take you to fish from the 3rd to 4th bridge? We did 4th to 5th and took about 5 hours.

Great looking fish. Made me hungry.
I did it in about 4 hours I guess. I had a few big knots I untied and lost of bunch of flies. I did like Jim says, only a few casts per pool and if I saw a fish run for cover, I just took it as a bust and moved on to the next pool. I also spent about an hour at bridges 1 and 2 and caught the rainbow. The rain moved all the tourists out, so I didn't have to compete with anyone in those big pools down there.

Thanks, making me hungry too. I want more. LOL
Old 07-20-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I would like to say yes, but not really. I think I will try grilling them next time. I think the fry and oil really cancelled out any taste difference that I could tell anyway.
I like to roll them in foil like a hobo pack. First butter the trout, salt and lemon pepper with a spritz of lemon juice. Put them on the grill about 7 mins. per side (depending on the size of the fish). Then near the end open the foil packs to let some of the water cook off and the smoke from the charcoal will add a little more flavor. Close the foil to preserve the heat.
When you plate the fish and it is still hot, just rake your fork along the direction of the rib cage.If you do it right the meat will flake right off of the bone and the skeleton can be tossed aside, then enjoy the sweetness.

Vincent
Old 07-20-2010, 04:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyC

Lake trout and brookies are the best eating around!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:59 PM

Mr. C,

I did knot up a leader at one point and had to switch out and lost a fly or two, but being relatively new to fly fishing in the Smokies, I tend to stop and gaze in wonderment at the scenery. Even after a physical outing like Road Prong, I feel so relaxed for several weeks. I envy those of you that live in the area and are able to fish there often.

That and I scrutinize every step before taking it due to my fear of SNAKES.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."