Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-20-2010, 03:00 PM

Default Clinch!!!! How's it fishing for ya? Let's hear it

i havn't been out in over a week now going on two weeks ... Family vaction, getting caught back up at work, and chasing small mouth have had me away. Let's hear some stories, to get me in the mood for this weekend. Catching any big ones? Sulpher hatch? big numbers? etc. Getting the itch to get back after'em, i'm going to be out all weekend this comming weekend!
Old 07-20-2010, 03:28 PM

Exactly the same as it has been all summer, spooky fish at times, incredibly dumb fish at times, no real monsters landed, but some decent fish landed. Same flies, same depths, and same old places are producing.

I have done real well on days when the wind was blowing, and not so well when the wind was calm and the sun high.

I saw psnapp on Sunday, and he seemed to be doing fine, we had a great day on Sunday, but the wind was blowing about 20MPH sustained which really helped offset the crystal clear water.

IMO, this is the most consistent I have ever seen the Clinch, it never changes from trip to trip. The only thing which changes is the weather which can make fishing stupidly easy or technical as ****. If you were catching fish earlier, you will catch them now, if you weren't catching them earlier then you won't catch them now.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:49 PM

Default Clinch

Water Wolf,
How are you man? Haven't fished the Clinch in some time. Seems awfully late for Sulphurs, are they still around in July? Midges [olive, zebra) with and without beads, and maybe some small pheasant tails still work out there..... on long, fine tippets?
Thanks,
John
Old 07-20-2010, 04:52 PM

Rod -- will let you know late tomorrow. Taking the 7-wt and big streamers tomorrow to see if heftier fish are interested.

Phil
Old 07-20-2010, 10:52 PM

Default smallish browns and edible bows

on my second trip to the clinch in a month, the barges were finally removed from the clear creek entrance. last time, i fished darn near all day from them and wore my arm out hauling in stocker size browns and an occasional bow.
on this trip though, not much at the creek entrance (water was up then and this time as well). so i went down stream a bit and anchored on shore near some bait slingers. caught a bucket full of pint size bows, 1 decent brown (10-11 in) and 2 bows i kept for supper. all on small, dark flies..midges and bhpt. all in all, i'll be back when the water's down longer.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswitow View Post
Water Wolf,
How are you man? Haven't fished the Clinch in some time. Seems awfully late for Sulphurs, are they still around in July? Midges [olive, zebra) with and without beads, and maybe some small pheasant tails still work out there..... on long, fine tippets?
Thanks,
John
SUlphurs are still hatching, somedays good somedays not so good. It is pretty hit and miss this late. I am still sticking with the bread and butter PT's, and catching as many as I wish to on any given day. You know me, I fish a 7.5' leader with 3 feet of 5x, maybe 6x if the water is really low. I don't believe in long leaders or small tippet. Put the fly where it needs to be, and drift it well, the rest is unimportant IMO.

Hope all is well with you John, and you are staying out of trouble.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:01 PM

Wolf you fishing a single Pt or are you using a droper rig?
Old 07-21-2010, 01:40 PM

I fished last Saturday. Cloudy and high winds. Fishing was tough for me. Caught a handful 15 inch rainbow was biggest.

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 07-21-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
Wolf you fishing a single Pt or are you using a droper rig?
Please, me fish two flies....never. I have seen too many times when someone fishing in the boat with me got spanked fishing two flies, by someone using a single rig. In super heavy water it makes sense, but on the Clinch with the water low, big mistake.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:05 PM

I haven't been on the Clinch since May 7th. Work has been keeping me busy, so my Friday fishing trips have been limited. Plus I prefer to fish early morning this time of year, and it hasn't been an option lately. When that happens I choose to go elsewhere and do some warmwater fishing. I am not one for fishing in a crowd. Those of you who know me, know the area I fish typically, and it isn't a heavily populated area. However, I have seen some Saturdays where the place looks like a zoo, so I choose to just stay away. At least until after the sulfurs have slowed, and the people who come around just for that one event have long gone.

This time of year I start counting down the days until football season. Not because I particularly care to watch the game, but because so many others do. Once football starts up, I will venture to the river on a Saturday.

It is good to hear that it is still fishing consistently well.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler