Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-27-2010, 08:36 PM

Just remember the water will come up higher then the chart says if the water has not fully drained. Also, if it is just a hour pulse, and it is on low water then you will barely notice it.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippet View Post
Just remember the water will come up higher then the chart says if the water has not fully drained. Also, if it is just a hour pulse, and it is on low water then you will barely notice it.
Somewhat true, the pulse raise has more to do with how much water and how long TVA runs it for. I am not saying prior river level doesn't have a bearing, but duration and strength of pulse has a ton of input.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:06 PM

Default River Flows

Thank gentlemen. Been too long since I fished the Clinch. Glad to hear it is doing better, and plan on giving it a go soon.
Best,
John
Old 07-31-2010, 05:01 PM

Made it out this morning and fished for about 45 minutes before a storm ran me off the water. So I waited it out in the truck and got geared back up again to have the skies open up again about the time I made it back down to where I was at previously. I spotted some big heads taking midges in the film and finally found the fly they wanted just before the storms ran me off. I will keep that in mind for next trip.

Here is the largest fish of the morning. I taped him at 22.5".

Unfortunately, I can't take credit for catching him. He was floundering around when I found him and spent a long time trying to revive him. Upon closer inspection he appeared to have talon marks in the top of his head (you can barely see it in this pic) and around his abdomen. Wonder if one of the resident eagles tried to bite off more than they could handle. I was unsuccessful in reviving him, as he was shaking violently at times. At one point I thought he was going to survive, so I let go of him and he drifted downstream a little ways and turned upside down again.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 07-31-2010, 05:39 PM

Beautiful fish. Shame it went to waste. I watched an Osprey hammer a trout the other day on the Caney. I could not see if he was successful, but he seemed to be flying a little heavy. I love to see them roll over into a dive. They really smack the water. I'm guessing your are right about it being an eagle. I don't think an osprey would attempt such a large fish
Old 07-31-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Made it out this morning and fished for about 45 minutes before a storm ran me off the water. So I waited it out in the truck and got geared back up again to have the skies open up again about the time I made it back down to where I was at previously. I spotted some big heads taking midges in the film and finally found the fly they wanted just before the storms ran me off. I will keep that in mind for next trip.

Here is the largest fish of the morning. I taped him at 22.5".

Unfortunately, I can't take credit for catching him. He was floundering around when I found him and spent a long time trying to revive him. Upon closer inspection he appeared to have talon marks in the top of his head (you can barely see it in this pic) and around his abdomen. Wonder if one of the resident eagles tried to bite off more than they could handle. I was unsuccessful in reviving him, as he was shaking violently at times. At one point I thought he was going to survive, so I let go of him and he drifted downstream a little ways and turned upside down again.
Nature is a bitch, that is a fine specimen of a brown trout. Gorgeous fish, and just as good a picture to match.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:29 PM

I saw an osprey flying low while I was fishing below Millers Island on Friday. I imagine they could do similar damage to a trout as an eagle.

Neal
Old 08-02-2010, 10:36 PM

I have not seen any eagles on the Clinch, plenty of ospreys around, but no eagles.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:48 AM

There are some Bald Eagles on the Clinch, as there are Norris and Melton Hill
Old 08-03-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuningWolf View Post
There are some Bald Eagles on the Clinch, as there are Norris and Melton Hill
I have seen plenty on Norris, just never seen one on the Clinch. The Holston, has several but I haven't seen them in quite a while.