Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-24-2010, 11:53 PM

Default apologies for the confusion

great responses. walker camp prong..good to know. i had always "assumed" that stretch of stream was the road prong. thanks for straightening me out. geographywas always one of my weaker subjects. too bad about that stretch of stream. i noticed small black flies, a few yellow stoneflies and other fliers of various sizes all around the stream...but not much in the stream. also, i thought the acid level might be crucial up there considering the rocks...oddly enough just downstream from the bridge..several fish were stirred up. i also noticed that just as you get below the bridge, a trickle of a stream enters. could that possibly help lower the acid level? seems like it would increase it but i'm just guessing. anyways, in the pool below that trickle were several fish. a very interesting stream physiologically and fishyologically.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:17 AM

nvr2L8--That's a monstrous speckled trout. In all my decades of dealing with and fishing for them, I've seen exactly two bigger than that. My boyhood buddy, Bill Rolen, caught one 12 1/2 inches long in Luftee at the mouth of Mingus Creek in 1958 (presumably it had come down out of Mingus Creek, which was then off limits to fishing), and about ten years back my good friend from Graham County (he's the fisherman pictured on the cover of my book) caught one of 12 3/4 inches on Big Snowbird near where Sassafras Creek enters it.
I've seen and caught a good many over 10 inches, most of them outside the Park in smaller streams in Pisgah and Nantahala National Forests. However, I personally have never landed a speck over 11 inches.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 07-25-2010, 08:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

I have spent the last 5 years in a relentless pursuit of the trophy spekcle and I finally landed my 12 incher earlier this year...in one of the smallest streams I have ever fished none the less. Me and a friend caught 5 fish in 100 yards over 8 inches and the last one to be seen was this guy. I wish his color had been a little better but regardless I was tickled. Here is a pic of him.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:39 AM

You got me beat with exactly half an inch. I still regret that I didn't have a camera when I got my brookie of a lifetime in the park. 11 1/2 inch on a Joe's Hopper of all things. Quarter mile above the Chimneys picnic area. It's almost a decade ago, I doubt I will ever catch a bigger one in the GSMNP.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2L8 View Post
Ian, I second Hans "Welcome back". We've missed your posts.
Ian, I echo Hans and Charlie's sentiments, we were worried some d&%*head on the board p%$$ed you off with one of (or a series) of their posts. We've wondered where several folks have gone that used to be regulars on the board.... Glad to know you are doing well.

As for large Brookies, ones man's treasure is another man's trash...its amazing the differeing perspectives on them around the country. In many places out west they are detested. There is a stream we frequent out there that is chock full of big'ens. After about 12-13 inches the males start getting rather scary looking with Kypes and black heads...they don't look like the cute ones we have here in the park...caught him on a stream about the size of Road Prong

Here's a 12"er from Colorado he doesn't quite have the kype yet....

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 07-25-2010, 11:01 AM

Wow, those are some big numbers. The biggest one I've taken in the park was just shy of 9 inches. I've caught bigger brookies, but they were up in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia, and were (most probably) pure northern strain, which get a little bigger. I won't go into details on exactly where this fish was, but I will say that I was a bit surprised - not that there were brookies there, but that there were any of that sort of size.

Back to Road Prong...it's my daughter's favorite stream, and she usually beats me in terms of numbers of trout when we fish it. I've had mixed results - it's a little bit different from the other spec streams I like to fish. All these streams have different "personalities", and I guess some "fit the eye" better than others. As for Walker Camp, I've done pretty well there, right along the road, but I haven't tried to fish it really high, mostly because of what I've read about the acid. Lower down, it seems that the rainbows and brookies coexist quite well - it's usually a good mix of them when I fish it.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:29 PM

Default Road Prong & Walker Camp ... both excellent streams

I finally made it back up to Road Prong and Walker Camp this past weekend ...mainly to beat the heat in Crossville!

Started fishing @ about 11 AM & caught 16 brookies and 3 bows on Road Prong in about 3 hours. I was surprized how low the water was and how small some of the fish were (as compared to when I fished it last summer).

Started fishing Walker Camp at about 2 PM and caught 9 bows including one 13" fish right above the first bridge adjacent to the Chimney's parking lot. The water on Walker Camp was crystal clear with tons of deep plunge pools. Never saw another fisherman all day!

A fantastic day - planning to go back this weekend.

Anybody ever fished Alum Cave Creek?
Old 07-27-2010, 08:41 PM

kevin.hoyt--I've fished Alum Cave Creek, like virtually every other stream in the Park, but save your time and fish elsewhere (unless you just want to explore). It carries a few fish, but thanks to the impact of Anakeesta rock leachate it is anything but ideal habitat for trout. If you want more details, I provide quite a bit of information as to why the situation exists in my book.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
www.jimc