Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-14-2011, 08:29 PM

JoeFred, will you have these for sale at Troutfest this year?

--Matt
Old 04-14-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Talked a buddy into buying your map, but they were sold out at LRO
Just thought you might want to know
duckypaddler, Daniel found 3 more of the Little River maps, which he is selling at the reduced price also. Regardless, one is on the way to your buddy as promised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
Fred I have a buddy that needs a complimentary map too his email is Crockett@... just kidding...
Love your maps and I refer to them quite often. One question when you going to do the Cosby area of the park or a combined Cosby/Big Creek since those two areas have lots of little streams of interest to me lately?
Crockett, as evidenced by my avatar with the virtual grafitti, I am a fan of Cosby. Big Creek is one of the most beautiful streams in the park in my opinion, though I've yet to get to fish it. They are in my radar somewhat, but I was leaning toward doing Cataloochee Creek next and then those afterward perhaps... or Abrams Creek...hmmm... so may prongs, so little tine. Given it's size and relative ease of access, some might think Cosby could suffer too much from foot traffic as a result of this type publicity. I know you like the 'Loochee area as well, so of the two, what say you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
JoeFred, will you have these for sale at Troutfest this year?
--Matt
Thanks for asking, Matt. Yes, I plan to have them along with a good many others at a special TroutFest 2011 Expo rate. Looking forward to seeing you there.

Last edited by JoeFred; 04-14-2011 at 10:17 PM..
Old 04-15-2011, 11:01 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
Crockett, as evidenced by my avatar with the virtual grafitti, I am a fan of Cosby. Big Creek is one of the most beautiful streams in the park in my opinion, though I've yet to get to fish it. They are in my radar somewhat, but I was leaning toward doing Cataloochee Creek next and then those afterward perhaps... or Abrams Creek...hmmm... so may prongs, so little tine. Given it's size and relative ease of access, some might think Cosby could suffer too much from foot traffic as a result of this type publicity. I know you like the 'Loochee area as well, so of the two, what say you?
Good Lord Fred that is a hard choice to make I love both of those areas a lot. I have only ever fished Big Creek once and didn't do so good but the stream was prettier there than Cosby or Cataloochee IMO. I like big boulder tumbling waters with ledges with lots of deep clear pools which is what Big Creek was like. Seems like Cosby and Cataloochee are kind of the opposite more gently sloping smaller to mid size streams. The Cataloochee maps might sell more since I think it is a more well known destination but the species mapping will be much more difficult due to the rapid changes in the last couple of years with specks migrating downstream as per the other thread going on. Cosby is a little more constant as far as the species there (we know what that one is) and has a lot of creeks which would make it interesting on the mapping side. So there is your non answer my friend with extra butter...

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 04-16-2011, 12:09 AM

I gotcha.... I think. With the high gas prices and other budget constraints, I think I will do Cosby Creek & Big Creek first.

Thanks

Last edited by JoeFred; 04-16-2011 at 01:39 AM..
Old 04-18-2011, 06:02 PM

Fred,

I received my LR Map today and it is OUTSTANDING!

I'll pour over the details of the map like it was a well read novel! Fantastic job to all who were involved!

I'll treasure this map as a most important part of my fishing gear.

I might get to come back down for Troutfest at Townsend. Not sure at this time. I hope to meet you if I get to as well as many others.

Thank you so much! My remittance for the invoice is in the mail!

Rick

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 04-19-2011, 10:51 AM

Rick, thank you for the kind words. Just a few of those involved in this and the other maps include message board members Byron for encouragement and referring me to Brent at Hart Graphics, Kris at Orvis Sevierville, who suggested the LR map format, MadisonBoats for design insights, Jim Casada for his reviews and endorsements, Crockett for suggestions and field testing, Carolina Kudzu for sharing my obsession with stream names/history, and many members who have encouraged us and purchased our products. Also key people are Matt Kulp, NPS fishery bioligist, for sharing data and supporting the objective and to fellow trout fan Rick at Rix Copies in Morristown for his excellent printing services.

Rick, thanks again. Enjoy your map and your Smokies.

PS. Speaking of Kris, I just spoke with him and he shared with me about "Fly Fishing 101" a free Orvis seminar coming soon. For more info, contact the store at 865-774-4162.

4/20/2011 Update: "Fly Fishing 101" will be held from 10 til noon, every Wednesday & Saturday from now through September. Kris shared that he especially likes seeing at the school a fly fishing father or mother who has brought their child or... vice versa

Last edited by JoeFred; 04-20-2011 at 11:05 AM..
Old 04-19-2011, 12:20 PM

Red face

JoeFred,

Does the Orvis in Sevierville carry any of your maps. I will be in Sevierville and this would be a quick stop for me. It will be a little while before i get to the Townson Area to stop at Little Rivers shop.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:41 PM

Mac, thanks for asking. Kris spoke to the distributor yesterday and has set an order in motion through Orvis corporate, but that could take a while. I plan to be at the Orvis store this Thursday and I would be happy to leave a couple of free maps there for you. Please e-mail me your travel plans at fredturner@saintclairmapping.com if that interests you.

Either way, enjoy your trip.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:49 PM

Just got a copy of your map. It is fantastic. Thanks
Old 04-20-2011, 09:14 AM

I'm going to pick up a couple also, I may just wait and get them at LRO when I go out in June. That'll be the next opportunity I have to use them but I can't wait!!