Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-28-2010, 09:41 AM

Default Abrams Creek First 1/4 Mile Up Trail

Sorry to ask again about this section. Last time I wanted to try, the road was closed. Is this section as slick as the rest? What would be the best time of day at this time of year to fish this section? What flies dry/wet would you reccomend?
Old 07-28-2010, 06:12 PM

I assume you are talking about the section just downstream from the Abrams Falls trailhead in the Cove. If so, it is definitely very slick with some sections worse than others. If you go, just be super careful and try to only stand on level surfaces. Those slabs of bedrock sticking up in the water are the best way to fall I know of...they are all sticking up at an angle and you will fall if you try to walk up or down them...

As for how its fishing, I have mostly stayed away from this area the last few years. I just got tired of fighting the crowds to get there. Flies to use will be dependent on when you plan to fish it. Normally the same patterns as you would use in other areas of the park will still work well since the insect life is generally similar to other Smokies streams (although there are a few notable exceptions). Right now isonychias should be hatching sporadically and perhaps a few caddis... Hopefully someone who has been on the stream recently will chime in about the insects...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 07-28-2010, 10:03 PM

PA,

Thanks for the info. Not used to limestone streams and have heard it was super slick. Was hoping it wasn't so bad at that spot. Will have to consult BigPopper to see what he thinks. Which I had tied some iso's, or at least tried.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:53 PM

Plateau Angler is right about the area. I also fished it a couple years ago with good success. But, he is right about the slabs being slick.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the info fellas ill ask big Popper what he thinks and give a report Sunday or Monday. I hope we catch one or two. Take care.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:42 PM

Abrams is one of the few creeks I have fished in the park so far. Super slippery, However I was wearing regular sandals not wading shoes as I didn't know it would be that slippery. A good bit below the falls I saw some monster fish and a bunch of bass. The water was very warm though (before the recent rains). I found the water above the falls to be cooler and have more willing fish, maybe the rains changed this. I am excited to go back and find out.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:54 PM

Danny thanks for the info. If I fish it, I will be on the end by cades cove.