Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-05-2010, 06:29 PM

Slipstream--I hadn't thought of things in that context, but it's certainly an idea.

Speaking of the non-presence of Park law enforcement on streams and in the backcountry, my brother just shared a really telling anecdote with me. I picked him up on lower Noland Creek a few hours ago and drove him back up to Clingman's Dome (where he started his hike early this morning). In the last two years he has hiked over 2,000 miles in the Park. His comment on rangers was: "In that time and all those miles I've seen exactly one ranger anywhere more than two miles from a road, and I've seen very few, period." It's clear the backcountry simply isn't a priority, and that leads to illegal camping (lots of it) and poaching. A sad situation.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 08-05-2010, 07:02 PM

While my first 30+ years in the park were not very frequent, my last 3 1/2 years have been. In all that time, I have only been asked for my license and what I was fishing with once. And it was on a rainy day in February when I was still spin fishining. I had to have been the only person fishing within miles and I guess the Ranger was bored.

When I renewed my license this year, I realized that I did not have my 2009 license in my pack - don't know where it was and I'm glad I never was asked.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-05-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
jefnless1--Gotcha. I misinterpreted what you wrote, although it was clear enough.
Jim,
No worries.
Jeff
Old 08-06-2010, 09:18 AM

Default The park and former inhabitants

I have fished the park a number of times and have never been checked. Same with fishing in Tennessee; never been asked for my license in 26 years.
When you go through Cades Cove, how many of you stop at the donation box just before the end of the road and drop in some folding money? I do. It is well worth a few bucks. I'm sure that the park would accept donations from private individuals.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:57 AM

I have been checked only once in eleven years. It was right in front of the Rangers quarters. He was headed in and I was walking along side of the road back to my truck.
Another thing I hate to see is people daming up the creeks with rocks. It seems like if they are not tubing they have to haul rocks and pile them up. If I understand trout behavior correctly, this can effect repopulation.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:49 PM

Cool ACHTUNG!!!....ve must see your Papers!

Checked and Interrogated...
April '10. Sitting on one of the big rocks above the rock wall bend below Elkmont Campground...munching on a pack o 'nabs, sipping on a bottle of water, waiting for signs of a hatch at the end of a long day of fishing.

Elves pull up, I waved..went back to watchin the water and eating my snack. Good Elf hops out exchanges pleasantries, asks about the day, questions what was on the days menu...nice guy... on exchange program from Mt.Rushmore.

Bad Elf hitches up gun belt, adjusts hat down over Her eyes, walks around behind me and without a hello, how are you, kiss my butt, nothing... PRONOUNCES:
"SIR! I WILL NEED TO SEE YOUR LICENSE....ALSO, I REQUEST TO SEE THE CONTENTS OF THE BACK POUCH OF YOUR VEST!"

Says I to "BAD ELF", certainly 'Mam please bear with me while I dig it out. I remove my vest and handed it to her, inviting her to inspect the questioned pocket as I stripped the waders down to get to my billfold. She acted as though it was a suicide bombers IED. "Place it ON THE GROUND SIR" says Bad Elf. (Good Elf is standing right beside me with a quizzical expression).

I empty the contents of the back pouch, which happened to be:
Rainjacket, Bottle of water, a busted blue worm tub, a piece of styrofoam cooler, and an empty Mountain Dew Bottle (that contained about 300 feet of monofiliment, three cigarette butts, a broken ball point pen, and the rolled up lid of a Vienna Sausage Can) Only the water and the jacket were mine.
Good Elf says, "Looks like you had quite a haul today...sorry you spent more time collecting trash than fishing...I appreciate you doing that!"

Bad Elf says..."SIR! ARE YOU AWARE THAT BAIT FISHING IS AGAINST PARK REGULATIONS!?!?!
I replied that I understood that and wished that others knew that as well as I. Still intent on asserting her authority, she, "Bad Elf", required that I deposit the trash in a bag as she watched to make sure that I did it.

Good Elf says thank you, good luck, and gets back in car.

Bad Elf reviews my license, hands it back to me, nods and gets in car. NOT ANOTHER WORD.

Simple proof...NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:21 PM

I was camping with my fishing buddy in June and was paid a visit by two such elves...in full combat dress...was informed that there had been a food container violation at our campsite....had left dishes and pots and pans on the table and one of those camp volunteers had spotted a small empty cooler under our camper...neglected was the generator across from us that went until after 10 and the cooler in the back of the pickup next to us whose owners were dumping their gray water in the woods each night...wonder when was the last time either had been up the trail to the forks of the river...I believe I met your evil elf on NC side a couple of years ago...she had me climb a 10 ft. bank to show me my license....
Old 08-06-2010, 07:21 PM

Fortunately, I've never had a encounter with a bad ranger. The ones I've met and talked with were professional and courteous. I did run across a Kentucky Fish and Wildlife officer once who thought he was Dirty Harry (including weapon drawn from holster as he walked up to me), but that was a long time ago and maybe my long hair (with no gray yet) and unshaven face (again with no gray patches) made him think I was a rough customer or something.

Hope I never run into your "bad elf".

Jeff
Old 08-06-2010, 09:43 PM

Cool Beware of Roving Bands of Fly Fishing Thugs...

Perhaps I should start wearing my waders down around my knees, and replace my lanyard with a Platinum Chain and BLING out my tippet spools with some diamonds...unh...unh....unh...

What's next? getting arrested for drug paraphenalia? "Sir!!! is that a Roach clip hanging from that zinger?" Dang good thing I wasn't holding a container of shake -n- float powder.

I understand the need for caution...which is why I'm respectful, and hyper co-operative...I have nothing to hide, but really! the road into Elkmont isn't the "LBC".
The Good Elf from Mt. Rushmore was really cool, and I venture to say that he was genuinely interested in getting to know me and learning about Fly Fishing GSMNP.

I am forced to wonder if the extra X chromosome had something to do with the chip on "her" shoulder.

Badges?, Badges?....we don't need no stinkin Badges!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plunker View Post
Checked and Interrogated...
April '10. Sitting on one of the big rocks above the rock wall bend below Elkmont Campground...munching on a pack o 'nabs, sipping on a bottle of water, waiting for signs of a hatch at the end of a long day of fishing.

Elves pull up, I waved..went back to watchin the water and eating my snack. Good Elf hops out exchanges pleasantries, asks about the day, questions what was on the days menu...nice guy... on exchange program from Mt.Rushmore.

Bad Elf hitches up gun belt, adjusts hat down over Her eyes, walks around behind me and without a hello, how are you, kiss my butt, nothing... PRONOUNCES:
"SIR! I WILL NEED TO SEE YOUR LICENSE....ALSO, I REQUEST TO SEE THE CONTENTS OF THE BACK POUCH OF YOUR VEST!"

Says I to "BAD ELF", certainly 'Mam please bear with me while I dig it out. I remove my vest and handed it to her, inviting her to inspect the questioned pocket as I stripped the waders down to get to my billfold. She acted as though it was a suicide bombers IED. "Place it ON THE GROUND SIR" says Bad Elf. (Good Elf is standing right beside me with a quizzical expression).

I empty the contents of the back pouch, which happened to be:
Rainjacket, Bottle of water, a busted blue worm tub, a piece of styrofoam cooler, and an empty Mountain Dew Bottle (that contained about 300 feet of monofiliment, three cigarette butts, a broken ball point pen, and the rolled up lid of a Vienna Sausage Can) Only the water and the jacket were mine.
Good Elf says, "Looks like you had quite a haul today...sorry you spent more time collecting trash than fishing...I appreciate you doing that!"

Bad Elf says..."SIR! ARE YOU AWARE THAT BAIT FISHING IS AGAINST PARK REGULATIONS!?!?!
I replied that I understood that and wished that others knew that as well as I. Still intent on asserting her authority, she, "Bad Elf", required that I deposit the trash in a bag as she watched to make sure that I did it.

Good Elf says thank you, good luck, and gets back in car.

Bad Elf reviews my license, hands it back to me, nods and gets in car. NOT ANOTHER WORD.

Simple proof...NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED.

It is clowns like her that give all of them a bad name, it is a shame that you have to be treated like a.) an idiot b.) a criminal c.) an idiot d.) a criminal when you are obviously just trying to enjoy a nice day on the water. You should file a complaint about this officer and keep complaining about her, it is people like this that will keep tourists away.