Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-06-2010, 11:22 PM

Cool Wasn't gonna give her an excuse.

Does Amnesty International have a Fly-Fishing Division? or Maybe the ACLU?
Never thought about gettin profiled while fly fishing....

*click* ah Dispatch...we got ourselves a 7X-RAY, 5 Whiskey Tango, 9'foxtrot on Elkmont Road...come back! *click*

*click* Affirmative dispatch, that would be a middle aged fat guy in waders, wearing a funny hat, and brandishing a 9' 5 weight flyrod with 7x tippet...over *click*

*click* 10-4 dispatch, he has been harassing trout, and the perp is currently eating an Oreo...request weapons release....please send back-up...he tied on a #22 Adams...need FBI HRT. DIspatch we gonna have to take this one down...deploying Tasers...over*click*
Old 08-07-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
*click* ah Dispatch...we got ourselves a 7X-RAY, 5 Whiskey Tango, 9'foxtrot on Elkmont Road...come back! *click*
Now, that is funny stuff. Thanks.

Jeff
Old 08-07-2010, 11:01 PM

Default Zee Papers ver in order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
Now, that is funny stuff. Thanks.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff...gotta laugh about these things, otherwise I probably WOULD be Tazed.

Probably a good thing I deflect with humor...helps me deal with airport TSA...not going any futher there otherwise the Department of Homeland Security may take an interest in regulating FLY FISHING
Old 08-08-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
...helps me deal with airport TSA
Aaahhh, yes, TSA searches - been there, done that.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:49 AM

Default Now just hold your horses

My supervisor at (let's call it) Acme Chemical enjoyed his quarter horses. Once while exiting the plant his vehicle was searched by one of our more conscientious security guards, know affectionately as Barney. When asked where the saddle in his truck bed came from, my boss replied with a grin, "off one of Acme's horses, of course."

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 08-08-2010 at 12:06 PM..
Old 08-08-2010, 10:15 AM

Default I doubt it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plunker View Post

I am forced to wonder if the extra X chromosome had something to do with the chip on "her" shoulder.

The 2 lady rangers (different occasions) I have had the pleasure of dealing with were very nice & completely professional. In fact one was a situation where should could have easily made a misjudgement, and not only made a good call, but also followed up and made sure nothing else happened. With proper training the differences between a man & woman are microscopic at best. While you will always get a few bad apples, I think the Park does a great job of recruiting the best around. Sorry if I sound like a feminist

The rest of your post was hilarious. I remember asking a ranger right when I first started fishing if it was OK to use a yellowhammer. Without even thinking (although I doubt he knew what one was) he started quoting the line on every fishing sign in the Park about artificial lure single hook blah blah blah. So then I said it is an artificial lure single hook so I'm legal right. He nodded his head, made a frustrated face, and walked off
Old 08-08-2010, 02:22 PM

Default Poachers and illegal campers

Quote:
As far as the poachers I wonder if trout u, gsma or some other group like that could volunteer to help in some way in the park. I know they couldn't enforce regs but maybe they could take down peoples tag numbers or something.
It would be a good idea if everyone would write down license numbers, etc. and turn them in to the proper authorities. As long as people get away with illegal activities, they will continue to do them.

Rock dams: I got this off the NPS website regarding GSMNP-
Disturbing and moving rocks to form channels and rock dams is illegal in the park!
Moving rocks is harmful to both fish and aquatic insects that live in the streams. Many fish species that live in the park spawn between April and August. Some of these fish build their nests in small cavities under rocks and even guard the nest. When people move the rock, the nest is destroyed and the eggs and/or young fish die.
Aquatic insects need rocks for cover as well. Some aquatic insects can drift off or move when disturbed, but many species attach themselves to the rock and cannot move. When a rock is moved, aquatic insects fall, are crushed by the movement, or dry out and die when the rock is placed out of water.
One of the fundamental policies of the National Park Service is to preserve natural resources in an unaltered state. Consequently, it is against the law to move rocks in the stream. Please abide by these rules so that future generations may enjoy the park as well.

Interesting, huh? I was surprised to learn of this as when I fish my home waters, one of the first things is to check rocks to see what is under there.

Last edited by Knothead; 08-08-2010 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: add park regulation
Old 08-08-2010, 05:19 PM

This is my official notice to park officials. My son and I move rocks looking for salamanders quite often. In fact we did it yesterday.

Also I would like to report two 5 year old girls I saw this morning at cs 18 with one minnow bucket containing 3 salamanders and a crawdad. I am quite certain they moved rocks in order to capture those creatures and I didn't get their names but I can describe them and their parents to the rangers if requested.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 08-08-2010, 05:40 PM

I don't think moving rocks would be a big deal, but taking salamanders and crayfish is.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:37 PM

Doesn't seem equitable that you can drag a brookie from his home and eat him, but your not allowed to terrorize a salamander or two.