Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-03-2010, 08:09 PM

Default Why is it wrong to post stream names?

I was reading another post about how older members no longer post and someone mentioned that naming streams was a reason. I have also heard how other small streams are sensitive and can not handle high pressure that naming would cause and would negatively impact the stream. Can someone please elaborate as to why naming streams is bad.

Just trying to develop sound fishing ethics.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2010, 08:39 PM

Ducky,

Because then everyone and his dog will go there. It just creates and unnatural amount of people on a given stream at one time. You call a hotspot and then a thousand people show up. People will eventually figure things out on there on without getting that specific. For instance, if I caught a few fish on the WPLP. I might say that I caught some fish in the park on the Gatlinburg side. No need to get too specific since so many people can glean information off of the internet so easily. Having said all of this, I am bad about giving out info on the Caney, but the Caney is so crowded, one more won't matter.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 PM

duckypaddler--Chronologically I almost certainly rate as an "older member," and I've given my views on naming streams in detail in past postings. Basically my view, and it is a carefully considered one where I had to reach peace within before I finished and published my book (it doesn't leave much of anything out, and what is omitted is my ignorance, not an attempt to keep secrets), is that the streams which are more remote aren't going to get but so much pressure no matter how much they are mentioned. It's just too tough to get to them. For example, I'll say right now that the Three Forks area of Raven Fork is speckled trout heaven. Rest assured that won't release a horde of folks to the area.
Also, I'm not sure about the validity of the point about older members not posting because of revelation of secrets. Has anyone actually made posts to that effect?
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 08-03-2010, 09:39 PM

Mr. Casada,

It is true that most will not venture that far, but don't you think that naming easily accessed streams can put excess pressure on them? Not going against what you say, just curious as to your position on the more easily accessed areas.

BRF
Old 08-03-2010, 10:06 PM

I can only speak for myself, but my main reason for not posting as much has nothing to do with naming streams. It's more of the fact that I've gotten tired of the mud slinging and sand pit mentality of a select few. Life's too short to engage in keyboard wars with people who doesn't have any sense of humbleness or only cares about their own opinion, or rather likes to see their own ego blown up.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:17 PM

Well, I only got into with one guy on the board in the beginning and ended up giving him my camping spot at Smokemont for two days for free, so I hope I didn't run you off!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:21 PM

Default Keyboard warfare......

I completely agree with Hans on this one. Additionally, I haven't posted as much as I used to because I've been way too busy...I check-in from time to time, but have been lurking more than contributing.

Ducky, the subject you brought up is a good one that has been debated on this forum numerous times. Do a search on "naming streams" and read some of the older threads and you'll get a good cross section of what people's beliefs are (or were) on the topic.

The threads from 2007 and 2008 are quite interesting...unfortunately we don't seem to be quite as civil as we were "back then"....

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 08-03-2010, 10:22 PM

Blueraiderfan,

No you didn't run me off, nobody has. I just don't post as much due to the reasons I mentioned.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
I was reading another post about how older members no longer post and someone mentioned that naming streams was a reason. I have also heard how other small streams are sensitive and can not handle high pressure that naming would cause and would negatively impact the stream. Can someone please elaborate as to why naming streams is bad.

Just trying to develop sound fishing ethics.

Thanks
Post anything you want! You define your online reputation and most posters can understand why and what your posts are intended to do - either help or inform others... Some post to gloat and make themselves feel better... Be yourself and live and learn; but, speak your mind and stand behind it. Admit if you are wrong or not sure; but, always speak from the heart and express what you feel! However, NEVER-NEVER-NEVER call someone out or call/insinuate that they are a liar unless you GOD!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 08-03-2010, 10:58 PM

People seem to have this misconception that if one person did really well on a certain piece of water, then that must be the place to be fishing. This can unfortunately be true even of difficult and hard to reach water although to a lesser extent. It is kinda like fishing a tailwater at a major access point. If you are catching fish, everyone else will start inching closer and closer. If you're catching fish then it must just be the spot...no one wants to admit that it might be their skills or lack thereof. In the mountains, people want to find "the spot" and many will go to great lengths to do so.

Personally I find it safer to just list the major stream in the drainage. An example would be fishing Lynn Camp Prong (when legal). Instead of describing how far I walk up the trail, etc., it is much easier to just say that I fished at Tremont. Even saying Lynn Camp isn't that bad so long as it doesn't include detailed step by step directions. If someone wants to catch fish, that is more than enough direction...

My main reason for not getting too specific about where I fish in the Park is that I go there for solitude. At certain times of the year that can include fishing roadside (by solitude I mean that I don't want to run into other fisherman on my chosen stretch of water). If I want to fish in a crowd then I head for a tailwater...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com