Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-04-2010, 11:08 PM

Default Chimney Tops

Me and the family are coming to the mountains this weekend and the wife wants to have a picnic at the Chimney Tops picnic area so i figured i just might get to slip in alittle fishing while I was there can anybody give me any advice for this area Ive never fished in the picnic area and this may be my only chance for the whole weekend since the whole family will be there with us.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:32 AM

I've fished that area a few times and caught fish, mainly rainbows.

The fishing can be a bit challenging as the area has a lot of really large boulders you will climb over or around, especially up stream from the picnic area. Like most other areas in the park, get 200 yards upstream from the picnic area and you'll have the stream to yourself, right in the picnic area, there are a lot of families enjoing the stream, splashing, throwing rocks, and all the stuff one would expect people to do while enjoying an outing in the mountains and having a family picnic.

If you don't mind doing a bit of rock hopping, I have always found it to be a nice section of stream.

Jeff
Old 08-05-2010, 07:43 AM

Excellent spot, caught my biggest brookie in the park (11 1/2 " ) just a quarter mile up from there.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wt View Post
Me and the family are coming to the mountains this weekend and the wife wants to have a picnic at the Chimney Tops picnic area so i figured i just might get to slip in alittle fishing while I was there can anybody give me any advice for this area Ive never fished in the picnic area and this may be my only chance for the whole weekend since the whole family will be there with us.
Hello,

You can fish upstream of the picnic area. As Jeff mentioned it's a rough area to fish, but it is a beautiful area. I have been fishing it since the mid-90's. Bows 5-9" are very common, brookies become more prevalent as you head upstream. IMO they're a minority on the WPLP. If you want to catch specs, I suggest heading upstream and fishing either Walker Camp Prong or Road Prong. A word of caution; you are entering the Gorge are of the WPLP just upstream of the Chimneys picnic area. It is very difficult to get out of the Gorge once you get in there. There is a place upstream where there is a dirt trail coming down from a large parking area on Newfound Gap Rd., but it may be hard to see unless there are some people around that area playing in the water.

Neal
Old 08-05-2010, 08:37 AM

I have caught some bows right there where everyone swims this past weekend. 7-10" I also did bridge 3 to bridge 4 and caught a ton of brookies.

They were hitting on yellow stimulators, red copper johns, tellico bh's pretty easily.

If you walk the trail the first two bridges you come across is right at the beginning of the trail where everyone swims. If you fish upstream from bridge 2 to bridge 3, you will catch a mix of bows and brookies. I personally like fishing bridge 3 to bridge 4, you have to walk the trail a little bit to get to bridge 3, but you will catch all brookies on this section. It's really pretty and pretty easily to climb.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:57 AM

There is also some good water just below the picnic area....head downstream along the bank and fish back up
Old 08-05-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
There is also some good water just below the picnic area....head downstream along the bank and fish back up
Rog1,

I that section several times in the last two years, I can wholeheartedly say there are no fish in that area

Neal
Old 08-05-2010, 12:19 PM

I fished the area a couple of times in the last few weeks. I suggest you try to get there early. The crowds are not as bad as they were a couple of weeks ago (with kids heading back to school soon), but it does get crowded fast especially if you want a table or a grill. Like the others said just head upstream from the picnic area and you'll be all by yourself.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:22 PM

Shawny,

Did you go to Ohio State or are you a Buckeye fan? I graduated from OSU in 1998. Been a fan since I was old enough to know, which was in Woody's heyday in the 60's. Let me know if want any info of the Park waters. My email is listed below.

Neal
pineman19@yahoo.com
Old 08-05-2010, 03:10 PM

Default Walker Camp Prong Question

Pineman,
Any suggestions on suitable locations to drop in Walker Camp Prong? I'm interested in fishing it sometime soon, and it looks like there is about 3.5 miles of water between the Road Prong confluence and Newfound Gap; however, I've read that, at some point along Walker Camp Prong, the fish activity is "dead" or diminished, allegedly because of the acidity issues associated with Anakeesta rock formsations. Anyway, I've fished Road Prong before with good sucess and don't want to pass it up in favor of Walker Camp Prong if there is a "dead zone" lurking out there.

Soli Deo gloria