Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-03-2010, 07:29 PM

Smile Oconaluftee and Little River 8-3-10

I fished a half mile of Oconaluftee this morning and caught 10 rianbows and 3 browns, the best fish being a fat 12 inch brown, but I forgot the camera. After coming home and working in the yard I grabbed the camera and headed to Little River. I fished 2 hours there, catching 17 trout and a few chubs. I missed as many as I caught. Here are a few pics from LR. There are two pics of the nice brown.

Baby Brown

Old 08-03-2010, 09:05 PM

I envy you. It seems like everytime you post, you have caught double-digit fish. I am brand new to this park fishing, and I am thrilled with 5 fish in a 5 hour time period. I have went many times for 5 and 6 hours without a fish. Hopefully I will improve over time, but I'll tell you, if the waters and the scenery in the park weren't so peaceful and serene, I would have already gave it up. However, I am already addicted to this new-found hobby of mine. It might be one of the most challenging endeavours I have ever attempted.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:10 PM

Thank you, but that is only because I don't put posts up on trips like last week when I got my *** kicked by Little River and came up empty handed.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:29 PM

I sort of figured that, too, and I do not blame you. Nonetheless, considering my best day is 6 fish after a full day, I am still green with envy. HAHA. But, I have only been at it a little over a month. I think my lack of luck is a mixture of not knowing the right spots and not possessing enough skill. However, I learn something every time I go--skill and location.

I see you're from Cosby; that is close to my stomping grounds. I live in the Edwina community; have all my life.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:32 PM

tjw37909 do you work sometimes at the fly shop in gburg? If so I think I ran into you on Saturday during the rain I came in to buy some neversinks. If no then there is a guy there that looks like you lol.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 08-03-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
I sort of figured that, too, and I do not blame you. Nonetheless, considering my best day is 6 fish after a full day, I am still green with envy. HAHA. But, I have only been at it a little over a month. I think my lack of luck is a mixture of not knowing the right spots and not possessing enough skill. However, I learn something every time I go--skill and location.

I see you're from Cosby; that is close to my stomping grounds. I live in the Edwina community; have all my life.

Greenie,

In my humble opinion 6 fish in a day, for a beginner, in the park, is pretty good. Not that I know that much, but in my experience, you are doing great.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Greenie,

In my humble opinion 6 fish in a day, for a beginner, in the park, is pretty good. Not that I know that much, but in my experience, you are doing great.
That is what I keep hearing. My wife's uncle, who has been fishing the park for 20+ years, told me he fished the park for a year before he caught a fish. Considering he now catches 5 fish to my one when I go with him, I think that is a bit of hyperbole on his part, haha. Nonetheless, he always tells me how great I am doing for someone with so little experience, but I still get frustrated.

Until I learn this trade a little better, I am going to keep relying on depressed, suicidal 'bows to brighten my fishing days.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:53 PM

Ha My first few trips, I swore that people were just making things up and that fish could rarely be caught in the park. I thought it was a scam by the area fly fishing industry to lure people in . I need to buy that book by Mr. Casada. It sounds like it has a lot more information than Rutters book ( I do like Rutters book though).
Old 08-03-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Ha My first few trips, I swore that people were just making things up and that fish could rarely be caught in the park. I thought it was a scam by the area fly fishing industry to lure people in . I need to buy that book by Mr. Casada. It sounds like it has a lot more information that Rutters book ( I do like Rutters book though).
It's an excellent read. I also found H. Lea Lawrence's book on fishing in the park to be an excellent read, although some of the info is slightly out-dated.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:01 PM

Crockett, yes I work in there part time to make some extra money to support the fishing and tying habit. Blue Raider, I have Jim's book, and it is good, but Ian's has as much, if not more actual stream and fishing information while Jim's has a lot more history of the park.