Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-04-2010, 07:06 PM

Default Glacier National Park

Does anyone have any suggestions for info about fly fishing in/around Glacier National Park? Looking for good books, guides, shops, etc.? I'm in the early planning stages of a trip and have not been to that area of Montana.

Thanks.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 08-05-2010, 12:19 PM

Jason,

Flyfisherman Magazine had an article probably a year ago on this. Look in the online archives, and you may be able to find it.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 08-05-2010, 07:00 PM

Glacier park itself is mostly comprised of fishable lakes, so bring your float tube and you will have to buy a separate fishing pass for the park I believe. There are a few rivers surrounding the park but access is extremely rare, if you want to do some hiking and spend a few days in the back country you will do better, just remember to bring your bear pepper spray. If it were me, I would spend a day to drive through the park then concentrate elsewhere for fishing, Missoula is only a couple hours south, and from there you have many more opportunities for trophy trout/whitefish/grayling/salmon/laketrout. Just north of Bozeman the state record Golden trout was caught, 5 lbs 6 oz. !!!! Just my two thoughts.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:56 PM

I found this on an Amazon search. I searched because I have a smallish book that must be close to 20 years old, that I was going to offer you, but this is from 2002, so you'd probably rather have it.

As noted above, it's mostly lake fishing in the park. A lot of the smaller lakes are at or above treeline though, so it's not essential to have a float tube because you can work many of them fairly well from the bank or shallow wading.

"Fishing Glacier National Park, 2nd [Paperback]"
Old 08-07-2010, 01:07 AM

When are you going GrouseMan? I may still have a few contacts, all the rangers and local police still remember me for sure I did a multi day float and camping trip on the Flathead River about 10 years ago and it was great. Good fishing and beautiful remote scenery. As beautiful as the park is I'm afraid the fishing is so so at best. The high alpine lakes are beautiful, but they are frozen over most of the year and fish numbers are limited by the lack of bio mass.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the information guys. We are going out with another couple for around 10 days about this time next year. No one else in the group has been to that part of the country and I have never been to Glacier. I've only fished the Gallatin and floated the Madison for a couple days.

Our tentative plan is to split time in Glacier & Yellowstone with a quick trip the Tetons. Fishing will not be the top priority for the trip but there will be a couple days centered around out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post
As beautiful as the park is I'm afraid the fishing is so so at best.
I kinda figured that this might be the case. I was a little interested in giving the lakes a try.

I found the article from Flyfisherman mag and will be sure to check out the book Mr.Mike mentioned.

Another question - If you could do a one day float trip in the Western MT area which river would it be?

Old 08-07-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
Thanks for the information guys. We are going out with another couple for around 10 days about this time next year. No one else in the group has been to that part of the country and I have never been to Glacier. I've only fished the Gallatin and floated the Madison for a couple days.

Our tentative plan is to split time in Glacier & Yellowstone with a quick trip the Tetons. Fishing will not be the top priority for the trip but there will be a couple days centered around out.

I kinda figured that this might be the case. I was a little interested in giving the lakes a try.

I found the article from Flyfisherman mag and will be sure to check out the book Mr.Mike mentioned.

Another question - If you could do a one day float trip in the Western MT area which river would it be?
The Beaverhead river, no doubt, you will catch 5+ pound bows and browns all day.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerdvr View Post
The Beaverhead river, no doubt, you will catch 5+ pound bows and browns all day.
Thanks, I will start looking at the Beaverhead. Does the scenery rival the fishing?

Old 08-09-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
Thanks, I will start looking at the Beaverhead. Does the scenery rival the fishing?

I wouldn't say that the scenery is anything to write home about, it is pretty dry and arid but still mountainous. The river follows I-15 for quite a ways so that should give you a clue. The fishing more than makes up for it. If you want better scenery then I would suggest the Yellowstone river.