Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-05-2010, 03:15 PM

I think the lower the better ie the closer to the confluence with road prong. I have fished it starting at that first bridge before. I have read where others fished it above alum bluff caves trailhead with some luck too. Neal perhaps you or others know this but I have often wondered how walker camp fishes where it leaves NFG road off to the left as you are going up the road. It is a pretty spot there and I often see people stopped there to take pics and play in the creek. I know a mile or so up the stream from that point there is where those two fellows from georgia killed that guy who they were fishing with that time so not too keen on going up that far.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 08-05-2010, 04:53 PM

Adam,
Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize someone had been killed up there. What happened?

Soli Deo gloria
Old 08-05-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayliffe View Post
Pineman,
Any suggestions on suitable locations to drop in Walker Camp Prong? I'm interested in fishing it sometime soon, and it looks like there is about 3.5 miles of water between the Road Prong confluence and Newfound Gap; however, I've read that, at some point along Walker Camp Prong, the fish activity is "dead" or diminished, allegedly because of the acidity issues associated with Anakeesta rock formsations. Anyway, I've fished Road Prong before with good sucess and don't want to pass it up in favor of Walker Camp Prong if there is a "dead zone" lurking out there.
I have only fished Walkers Camp a few times, mainly cause I don't like fishing along roads too much, but it can be a good stream for bows and specs, especially if you're not looking for bigger fish. I have fished right above the Chimney Tops trailhead and farther up Newfound Gap Rd., after passing through the tunnel. There is a relatively large parking area where after the streams switches to the left side of the road. I did pretty well there once. Honestly, I don't think he makes a whole lot of difference until you get above the Alum Cave trailhead, although I've never fished it up that high.

I have seen other people post that they haven't had any luck fishing the very upper headwaters above where it crosses Newfound Gap Rd. for the last time.

Neal
Old 08-05-2010, 06:55 PM

dayliffe,

As pineman said, fishing up Walker Camp prong from the first bridge at the Chimneys trailhead is a good area. If you go just past the tunnel that curls around over itself, there is a gravel pulloff to the left of the road. Just across the road and up a few feet is easy access to the stream. From that point up is some really fun fishing. You'll pass the bridge where one of the WCP tributaries runs in just up stream from there and can fish on up to the pulloff with the parking area that pineman referred to. From the top of the tunnel to that parking lot is several hours of good fishing. I caught one of my biggest specks in that area and the last time I fished it, I caught a bow that was easily 12". Highly recommend it. Easy to get to but I've never run into another fisherman in that stretch.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-05-2010, 07:16 PM

dayliffe there is a chapter in Dwight McCarter's book "Lost!" called 'Gone Fishin' you should get the book and read it very interesting. A 20 year old guy named Albert Hunt from Florida came up to the smokies to fish in late April 1981 and he was staying at smokemont when he was befriended by a couple of cousins i think from Georgia who were weren't the best all around fellows to be hanging with. All of them were fishing around smokemont and when the cousins saw he had cash in his wallet they told him they would take him to a good fishing spot on the TN side up Walker Camp prong. They basically took him a mile up from the last spot the stream crosses the road and you can imagine the rest. Don't want to give it all away here but it is pretty interesting how the crime was solved and what happened up Walker Camp prong there when all the details came out. I can say it involves several bears too in a pretty gruesome way. A great read.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 08-05-2010, 08:25 PM

Adam--The fishing really diminishes in quality once the stream leaves the road. I think the primary problem is that by that time you are high enough up that Anakeesta leachate is a major problem. Look at the topography in that area and you soon realize that there's considerable bare rock and it is an area with little topsoil to contain heavy rain washoffs. Indeed, that runoff is one reason the stream is so scenic there. It is wide open and lends itself to photography.
Jim Casada
P. S. Thanks for the tip on the story of the murder. I've got the book in my library but must not have read it, because that's a tale I wouldn't forget. That oversight will soon be rectified.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 08-05-2010, 09:03 PM

Gentlemen,
Thanks very much for sharing your WCP insights. And Adam thanks for the book reference; like mom always said, careful who your friends are. Thanks again.

Soli Deo gloria