Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-09-2010, 04:28 PM

Default Dragonfly fishing...

I was fishing in the backcountry this weekend with Crockett, my son and his son (their first backpacking trip). I was using a yellow stimulator and two separate times a dragonfly came and grabbed my fly that was dangling in midair and tried to fly off with it. It actually lifted up the fly, tippet and part of the leader and tried to fly away. I guess that Stimulator really did look buggy.

Has anyone else ever had that happen? What size hook do you use to catch those?

--Matt
Old 08-09-2010, 05:21 PM

Try a #12 EHC over on Tremont....they will snatch them in mid cast
Old 08-09-2010, 08:35 PM

Man,
I would try and set up a tripod/camera and get that on video. It would be neat to see/experience!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 08-09-2010, 09:07 PM

Matt--It isn't all that unusual, which is exactly why you sometimes hear old-timers (including this one, I guess) call them mosquito hawks. Whenever it happens it is a really neat experience. That leads, in turn, to a bit of a quiz to see if anyone can say what another common mountain name for dragon flies is--and it's much more commonly used than mosquito hawk. Indeed, it was the only name I knew for the insect until I was grown.
I'm guessing one or more regular visitors to this forum who grew up in the Smokies will know the answer. If not, I'll reveal it in two or three days and in truth I think I may have mentioned it in a post at some point in the past.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 08-09-2010, 09:13 PM

I got a dragon fly on the end of my line once on Lynn Camp Prong (before closure). I thought I had actually hooked him in mid-air but I'm wondering after reading these accounts if he didn't just grab the fly and try to run off with it. Thought I would never get separated from that thing! I couldn't wrench control of my line for quite a bit.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-10-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
Matt--It isn't all that unusual, which is exactly why you sometimes hear old-timers (including this one, I guess) call them mosquito hawks. Whenever it happens it is a really neat experience. That leads, in turn, to a bit of a quiz to see if anyone can say what another common mountain name for dragon flies is--and it's much more commonly used than mosquito hawk. Indeed, it was the only name I knew for the insect until I was grown.
I'm guessing one or more regular visitors to this forum who grew up in the Smokies will know the answer. If not, I'll reveal it in two or three days and in truth I think I may have mentioned it in a post at some point in the past.
Jim Casada
Snake Darter?
Old 08-10-2010, 09:16 AM

Mundele--You win the prize (if I had offered one). Snake feeder, snake darter, snake fly--those are the terms I knew as a boy and continue to hear here on the N. C. side of the Smokies even today. Of course that raises the question of whether you grew up in the Smokies or were exposed to the description elsewhere. I've never heard it outside of the southern Appalachians.
Jim Casada
Old 08-10-2010, 10:03 AM

I'm from Carter County, grew up real close to the Watauga River in Stoney Creek. Not the smokies, but definitely in the southern Appalachians.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:34 AM

They are big time predators in the insect world. The nymph has a detachable jaw that was the model for the monster in the movie Aliens, it eats other nymphs and small fishes. The adults are the fighter jets of the insect world. They can hover, cut, stop on a dime, and if I'm not mistaken they are the world's fastest flying insect.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:44 AM

I was behind Matt when it happened watching our boys while he was fishing a hole when it picked up his fly and started flying around with it. Funny thing is when we moved up to the next hole about 3 casts later either the same one or the previous one grabbed his fly again and was hovering with it in the air. So it happened twice in about a minutes time.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...