Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-01-2010, 12:26 PM

Default Pinedale, Wyoming

Heading to the headwaters of the Green River in West Central Wyoming for a week of pursuit of the wily trout in an annual western expedition. Does anyone have any information about the waters in this area? We are not going until 20 AUG, and hope the terrestrials and waterlevels will be OK. Did hear there was a good bit of spring snow in the mountains around, and hope the levels will support some fishing. Not sure where we will base camp, somewhere in the Pinedale area, buit maybe as far away as the alpine lake about 25 miles north that is the Green headwater. Have made contact with the flyfishing emporia in Pinedale, but have not looked at any local websites there. As usual, any and all advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Skip W.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:09 PM

Bring plenty of BIG BIG Hoppers ! Enjoy your trip and let us know how it goes.

Giant Hoppers 2-3" wink wink
Old 08-02-2010, 09:09 PM

I have a buddy who arrived in Pinedale yesterday, and embarked this morning on a 5 day horseback back country trip to the upper Green River. I will ask him when he returns to work on Monday what was working and let you know.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 08-03-2010, 07:01 PM

I'll be backpacking from Elkhart Park Aug 18-28 looking for some BIG goldens.

The Upper Green should be in good shape for fishing. That area was closed 3 or 4 weeks ago due to high griz activity (it's open now) so be mindful that they're around. If you get tired of fishing the Upper Green, hike in and check out the alpine lakes.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:55 AM

Please take a camera. Some of us are living vicariously through others postings!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:02 PM

Please take a camera. Some of us are living vicariously through others postings!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:25 PM

My buddy has been making me very jealous this week with his reports from Pinedale horseback trip. He said they were fishing primarily stimulators on the streams and tan EHC on the stillwaters. He said they caught more 18 to 22" rainbows and cutthroats than he could count. They also fished one lake around 10,000' where they were crushing 12" goldens on a small streamer. Some also had some luck with hoppers and beetles, but they rarely took the time to change flies unless one managed to break them off. They were probably averaging 50 fish/day for each person through the majority of the trip.

I am still waiting for him and his buddy to share some pics. One of the guys is a Nikon DSLR guy like me, and he took around 1000 pictures over the 6 days. So, I can't wait to see the results.

He said they were more cautious on this trip than on previous trips due to the aggressive bear activity farther north. However, they never encountered the first bear, moose, or elk the entire time.

This is a trip I would love to go on, but I just need to convince my wife that it is a better idea to do this instead of laying by the beach in the Caribbean for the same price....

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 08-11-2010, 05:02 PM

To help sell idea
tack on a couple nights at four season Jackson and spring for massage treatments