Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-13-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
I cannot imagine the fall out if they decided to cease the bucket program at tellico/citico. It would be unsafe to fly fish for decades following such a decision, and the locals would poison the river more then likely.
I'm amazed that a similar fall out hasn't happened since they closed the OHV area.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:36 AM

Default Hiwassee stocking

I talked with a fellow who is very knowledgeable on the Hiwassee and the issues. The stocking hiatus on the river is for only August and September, when water temps are at the highest. If TWRA does put this in action, it won't be until 2011. The problem is that we have had hot and dry years for 10 out of 12.
Tellico- I'm cheap! When I fish the Tellico, I fish the tributaries (actually, I prefer the tribs) in the summer, and fish the Tellico when the permit requirements aren't in effect. The permit is to pay for stocking, I'm told.
Locals tell me that the H. was a good samllmouth fishery prior to the coldwater influx after the dam and powerhouse was built.

Last edited by Knothead; 08-13-2010 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: add comment
Old 08-13-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondack46r View Post
The TVA info says that "Apalachia will be spilling 25 cfs until further notice". Does anyone know if that is one, or two generators?
One generator is like 1,400 cfs. They are spilling at the dam; 25 cfs is less than leakage.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
Locals tell me that the H. was a good samllmouth fishery prior to the coldwater influx after the dam and powerhouse was built.

What's left of the Hiwassee between the dam and the powerhouse is still a very good smallmouth stream. I fished it Saturday and Sunday afternoon of this past weekend. We caught several smallmouth, largemouth and spots in the 2-3lb class and many smaller ones. It is tough getting around in the streambed, but the fishing can be very good. I can only imagine what the Hi was like before the dams.

My grandfather used to fish the Hi extensively back in the 20s, 30s and 40s. I don't remember him talking much about the bass, but he used to catch lots of big flathead catfish. I remember a picture of one that was between 50 and 60 lbs. I bet there are still some like that up in the deeper pools of the cut-off section mentioned above.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:31 PM

TNBigBore, go to the photo gallery on www.hiwassee.net and see a couple of big catfish along with some nice trout. I used to fish above the PH but quit since the rocks are slicker than greased glass. Wintertime has some trout migrating upstream of the PH when the water is cooler.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:56 PM

Water temp at Reliance today was 66 Deg. at 9:00 am. Great for Aug . 25th. No turbines were running.