Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-11-2010, 12:34 PM

Default Where to find Specs?

Hey,

My little brother's bday is coming up here in a few days so we were planning to do some fishing in the park this Sun-Tues.

We have fished the park a few times with success, but neither of us have caught a brook trout from the park. I think that this trip would be extra special if he could get his first native brook so I am asking for your help.

We are looking for somewhere on the TN side that we could have a shot at some Brooks, and we dont mind a decent hike. We won't be camping so somewhere that we could do in a day hike.

Also, if you do not want to reveal spots on this forum (understandable) you could email me at housley2003@hotmail.com.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Lee
Old 08-11-2010, 01:20 PM

Can I suggest using the forum search function. Type in brook trout or specs in the title section and I think you'll get plenty of info.

Neal
Old 08-11-2010, 01:26 PM

Lee--The Park actually has a map showing species distribution, and there's one in my book if you have it (p. 415). Beyond that, I'd suggest Road Prong, Walker Camp Prong, or Cosby Creek, all from the standpoint of convenience, although there are lots of other places which aren't quite as readily accessible.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 08-11-2010, 01:56 PM

I have had no issue catching specs on road prong and I am a complete noob. They won't be big, but you will catch them.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:56 PM

Upper Middle Prong (Tremont to many), Lynn Camp Prong, Sam's Creek are all in the same area just outside Townsend. Good luck! Let us know how things went.
FWIW, the first time I fished the Park, I pulled off a Grand Slam (haven't done it since)- rainbow, brown, brook all in the same day! All on the Middle Prong of the Little river.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
Upper Middle Prong (Tremont to many), Lynn Camp Prong...
Hey John...Lynn Camp is closed to fishing (has been for two years now)...it will be a great place to catch Brookies in a few more years, but for now, Sam's is the only place, up that way, to catch specs...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 08-11-2010, 08:55 PM

Thanks guys for all the information, I really appreciate it. I am pretty excited to get to the park and do some fishing since I havn't been able to do much this summer.

I will post a report (unless I get skunked ha).

Thanks again,

Lee
Old 08-11-2010, 09:07 PM

Knothead--Lynn Camp Prong is currently part of the Park's speck restoration program and is closed to fishing--probably for at least a couple more years. So Lee, obviously that's one less destination for you (although Knothead is dead on in terms of it being a speck stream, one we all hope will be even better after the use of antimycin and the subsequent stocking of specks). NOnetheless, there are plenty of places on the TN side where you can catch these mountain jewels.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 PM

Cosby is basically my "home" stream, if having to drive 600 miles to fish the mountains can be considered a "home" trip. I've fished just about the entire fishable length of it, and I think so much of it, I bought property just outside the park, not more than a mile from the Cosby entrance. It has to be the easiest spec stream to access - you can park at the start of the nature trail and start catching specs in literally minutes. Like most streams, if you invest in a little hiking upstream, you'll tend to find better fishing. There are some nice brookies, mixed in with a few rainbows; I will say, though, that the average size is fairly small - you'll get your share of dinks there too. There are other streams in the park where the average size is a little better, but they all require a drive and/or a hike to get to. Nevertheless, it's a fine stream, and very pretty too. I have seldom encountered another fisherman while there - the only reason for that, in my mind, is the fact that Cosby is a bit isolated from the rest of the park. But, given the fact that I don't mind driving for 10 hours to get up to the mountains, a little extra mileage doesn't faze me.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:59 AM

A lot of accessible water pointed to in this post...I have always felt that best bet for a slam on a single stream is either Straight Fork on the NC side or LR above CS24 above Elkmont...this requires a 4.2 mile walk before starting to fish.