Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-16-2010, 05:20 PM

From a presentation at Elkmont on the bears in the Park I learned that most of the bears in the Park hibernate in hollow trees rather than dens or caves...when I heard this I quickly remembered a huge hollow tree near the fork of the LR with FC Prong and how I used it on several occasions to wait out a shower...never occured to me to look up high inside that tree....you just never know.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:01 PM

Default A horse of a different odor... or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
Hans...I have smelled more bears while fishing than I have seen...it is a smell that you won't forget...first time I smelled a bear was up above CS24...my buddy and I were fishing upstream and there was a dry wash off to our left...the bear was parallel to us and we met at the top...don't know who was scared the most...we took off upstream the luckily the bear backtracked down the wash...
On more than one occasion, most recently on Kephart Prong Trail, I have smelled what seem to be horse.... not manure, the actual horse, but I have yet to see signs of horse traffic at the time. In the beginning (on the Little River Trail) I started scanning the brush for bear, but from what I'm reading on this thread, not likely the culprit. Anyone know if there is some plant life that might give off an equine-like redulance?

JF
Old 08-17-2010, 09:00 AM

I have also picked up on that odor on occasions on trails where I know there is no horse traffic....strange.