Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-12-2010, 06:48 PM

Default GSMNP in the Fall

Any tips on techniques in the cooler temps? What about vs various water flows at those temps? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:32 AM

Love fishing in the fall...cooler weather, fewer people and great scenery....I have always found that dry fly fishing is still popping...terrestrials are still out and about, caddis flies are still working...there is a huge caddis fly that hatches in the evenings around Elkmont this time of year...cinnamon colored...later in the fall the browns start to spawn and move upstream and if you are stealthy you will see some fish that will literally take your breath away....about the only thing that doesn't hatch during this time is the tubers...fish during the week if you can and you will almost have the place to yourself....
Old 08-13-2010, 10:15 AM

Fall can be great! The only negative IMO is dealing with all the traffic at the height of Leaf Peeping season Water levels can be lower, typically October is a drier month, but the latest climate predictions say that drought conditions should improve for East TN over the next few months. I hope they are correct. The heat has been tough and I am looking forward to cooler weather for work and my personal time as well.

As far as fishing techniques, I don't change up that much in the Smokies. Smaller/darker flies if the water is lower, nymphs (BHPT, Tellicos) are what I use most of the time. When in doubt, use a parachute adams (12-16), the female adams are a good choice as well.

Neal
Old 08-13-2010, 11:09 AM

Good stuff guys. Temps drop to the frigid mid 80's next week. I am looking forward to the fall.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:13 AM

My son and I will be there in October the weekend of the 8th I think if my old brain cells (the ones that are left anyway) are firing correctly this morning.

Looking forward to a little fishing and enjoying cooler temps and cool water.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:35 AM

For the last 40 years my best friend and I have spent the last week of Sept/first week of Oct. camping in Elkmont and fishing where it feels right...by this time of year there is usually a break in the heat...cool or warm days and cool nights....the leaves have not changed enough to bring in the heavy traffic and the kids are in school during the week...we set up camp on Sunday and leave on Friday....I know at Elkmont the campground is almlost empty during the week as are most of the streams....just a great time to be out and about.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:42 PM

I've never caught a large amount of fish during any one trip to the park but I sure love going. I used to believe that those mountains and streams were a living entity that had it in for me and now I know I was just lousy at fishing them.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:04 PM

Fall is a lovely time in the mountains. The only drawback is that if you go there when the leaves are falling you'll spend a lot of time clearing them off your fly. Oh yeah, watch where you step. The leaves like to form a mat in back eddys, and what you think may be a foot deep can be a lot deeper. Test before you commit your full weight. Enjoy. Silvercreek
Old 08-13-2010, 04:21 PM

You will easily catch 20 times the legal limit of leaves , otherwise, fall fishing is just about as good as spring fishing, in my opinion.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:01 PM

Yeah, I've been before in the fall, but don't remember if I took, and was fishing, the right flies. I usually use Hugh Hartsells hatch charts, but wanted to get some more insight, especially as to where the fish might lie in various water flows in the fall etc. I do appreciate the advise so far though.

Last edited by BlueRaiderFan; 08-13-2010 at 08:07 PM..