Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 08-17-2010, 01:16 AM

Default My First Brookie

Hello all. I have enjoyed visiting this message board and would like to thank those of you who take the time to share your experiences and knowledge with everyone.

I had meet a few fly fisherman on my fishing trip to the Smokies this past weekend, the first was at Elkmont. It was a younger man with an older Couple. We exchanged hellos and started talking about what we were using to entice the trout that warm sunny morning. After a few sentences I could tell that the man I was talking to had a passion for this sport. He talked of the trouts diet and of their vision. The thing I will never forget is what he told me when I asked him about fishing in the deeper water. I suggested that I was using nymphs to get closer to the fish, hoping they would not miss my offering. He proceeded to tell me that 90% of the trouts diet comes from under the surface but 100% of the action is on top, so its a matter of what your after, quantity or quality. Looking back I wonder if that gentleman was a guide sharing his knowledge of the magnificent streams with that older couple. If by chance he is reading this post I would like to thank him for sharing his passion of fly fishing with me.

The next gentleman I meet was on my way out from the Chimney Tops. I saw him coming out of the stream and asked how he did. I shared with him that I had caught my first Brook Trout that morning and told him I had been doing a little research hoping to succeed in my quest. He asked if I had ever been on the LRO forum. After a few seconds of deciphering the letters It hit me in amazement, I could not believe I ran into someone from this forum, which I had just started reading the day before. He proceeded to tell me his user name so I would like to extend a hello to Crockett, if you by chance see this. I hope our paths will cross again in the mountain streams.

The temperature was very high this past weekend but the cool streams soon diminished my sense of the heat and focused my attention on the next pool and how I was going to present my fly to the trout that await. I started my trip south of Elkmont and managed to catch a few Rainbows. The next morning I went to the Chimney Tops in pursuit of my first Brookie. After a short time of fishing with nymphs I switched to terrestrial and missed my first strike. The only thing I could see was a white fin and was almost certain I had missed the quarry I sought after. I walked across the rocks, peeking above the next rise hoping to find a pool with a long tail of rippling water to cover my approach. As I looked over the waters surface I started to cast to the edge of the ripples. As my fly started to return to me there was a rise in the water and I quickly raised my fly rod and that is where I caught my first Brook Trout.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:36 PM

Welcome, icSpecs! It seems your first spec isn't the only creature that's gotten hooked.

Hopefully you'll hear from the nice younger man helping the older couple. I can relate... to the older part... and needing help. As for our message board Crockett. He's an okay guy I know from my old neck of the woods. I rank him right up there with Davy.

Keep exploring and your posts a comin'.

JF
Old 08-17-2010, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the Welcome Joe. I just took your poll about Greenbrier, fished there a few months ago for the first time and understand the "so many prongs and so little tine". You are very fortunate to live so close to such a great part of our country. Look forward to reading your posts.

By the way the Brookies didn't get me hooked, it was the Rainbows in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Caught twelve to fourteen inch fish in a stream no wider than a creek here in Ohio about 10 years ago. The first time I fished in the GSMNP I caught one Rainbow that was lucky to reach six inches. I knew then I had a lot more to learn to fish these streams.

Kim
Old 08-17-2010, 09:45 PM

Hey Kim glad you posted on the forum and welcome! I sure do remember and you were catching brookies on an ant pattern. I had a great time Saturday too. It's amazing all the folks from here you run into up there. While I was getting ready in the Chimney's parking lot there around 7am (I think) Grouseman for this forum pulled in next to me. We talked a bit and he was fishing up road prong and I was going down thru the tunnel to hit the gorge so we wouldn't be crossing waters. You must have fished behind him up there so that makes your catches more of an accomplishment in my mind ha. Congrats on the brookies! After we walked out I went up walker camp prong toward alum bluff cave area looking for brookies and only found a couple more rainbows.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...

Last edited by Crockett; 08-17-2010 at 10:37 PM..
Old 08-18-2010, 09:40 PM

Hey Adam. glad you seen my post. Its good to be able to put a face to the profile. I read your post about the copperhead and your fiance, I can only imagine how the night would have went if she had stepped on it. Better get that dog house fixed up if that ever happens. Definitely paid more attention the next morning I went out fishing. I look forward to reading your posts to see how the fishing has been.

My next trip down I hope to catch a brown. I'm sure this forum will help me in that quest. Best of luck with the fishing.

Kim Razor
Old 08-19-2010, 02:14 AM

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first Speck! They're truly amazing fish. That first brook trout (or fish for that matter) will stay etched into your memory for the rest of your life. It's a special moment for sure.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:21 PM

Congratulations! My first brookie was caught off the Tellico River out of a pool about the size of a bathtub, and about as deep. Never forget that fish! I have caught a few in the park and anticipate going back this fall during the cooler weather.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the welcome Tyler. I just clicked on the link that took me to your homepage and it looks like a great blog, I will be sure to check it out when I have more time. I can see I will have no problem finding help and information on fly fishing on this forum. Look forward to reading your posts.

Kim Razor
Old 08-20-2010, 07:46 PM

Hello John, Thanks for the welcome. Now I know the origin of the Tellico nymph. I look forward to learning so much more about this great sport. Noticed that you build custom rods. That's another thing I enjoy about this fly fishing; If we cant fish at least we have plenty of other things to keep the fire burning until the next time we get on the streams. Ill keep you in mind If I decide to get a custom rod.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:35 PM

icSpecs--Welcome, and congratulations on your first mountain trout (which is what almost all old timers called specks). Just some thoughts/emendations/corrections/additions, in no particular order. While the individual with whom you talked is right about where the focal point of feeding for trout is, why not enjoy the best of both worlds? Use a dry fly and a dropper (most times of the year,you'll catch more on the dropper, and you can always cut it off if the majority of action is on the dry fly.
I've found, after having fished for trout over much of the world, that anyone who can catch fish with consistency in the Smokies (and I'm talking about 20-50 fish per day) won't have much trouble other places. I know of nowhere, at least on freestone streams, which is more demanding. Finally, don't be too sure of the geographical origin of the Tellico nymph. There's a Tellico Creek in Macon County, N. C. which is full of trout and could also be a candidate for the name of that pattern.
Again, welcome.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com