Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 08-02-2010, 01:22 PM

Default Playing with Palmer Chenille

I was interested in Byron's description of what he was tying up with the palmer chenille in the fishing report this morning so I googled a little bit to try to get a good visual as to what we was describing and found this on another forum, so I thought i would share the link, in case anyone else was also curious...

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...almer-Chenille

I don't know if that first picture is close or not, ( i guess only he can verify that) but it still looks like some cool material to play around with.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:41 PM

Wink

NDuncan-

I read his post on the Fishing Report also, and I was wondering what he was talking about. I've been playing around with chenille also, as I think it mimics dubbing & hackle wound together and then wrapped on the hook shank. Michaels's and Hobby Lobby have various chenilles that you want to go look at, in addition to other materials such as maribou, 3mm foam, etc. Nothing wrong with Wapsi, Feather-Craft, or the others, but its fun to look at the materials, and imagine what flies you can tie with the materials.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Bill
Old 08-24-2010, 04:45 PM

Hey guys,

I have not been on here in a while and just saw this post. I made a note to bring in a fly to photograph tomorrow. These flies look great but I have not fished with them yet.

Sorry,

Byron
Old 08-26-2010, 09:52 AM

Byron-

Please post a photo of the flies that you have with the palmer chenille.

On Saturday mornings, a group of us get together to eat doughnuts, tell lies, and tie flies. Last Saturday, we tied a saltwater Gotcha pattern, and use the chenille to palmer the head, and then trimmed the fibers pretty short. Not sure if it was a good use of this material or not. A chenille with short fibers may have been a better choice.

Anyway, with its long fibers, it seems like a good material for streamers, baitfish & buggers. I'd like to see your patterns.

Thanks

Bill
Old 08-26-2010, 07:29 PM

I'm taking tomorrow off but I plan to post the pictures this weekend. I took a couple of photos of the flies but the flash units blew out the chenille. I need to use the larger flash boxes to eliminate the glare. Our sales rep from Umpqua, Sage, Redington and Tibor spent the day with us today. Umpqua has a new fly tied with Palmer Chenille in several colors for fresh and saltwater. They looked great but somewhat different from the one I came up with. I'm going to tie some that look like theirs before we go to Dale Hollow.

Byron
Old 08-28-2010, 02:40 PM

I took some pictures of the Palmer Chenille flies I've been tying plus some other baitfish flies. I'll try to post the link here. Sorry this took so long.

Byron

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/littleriverjournal/baitfish/index.htm
Old 08-28-2010, 04:29 PM

Great looking flies Byron. They ought to produce for you. Good luck at Dale Hollow.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:34 AM

Those look good to me Capt Byron That stuff has just enough sheen that I bet it will look like scales on a shad. Do the lips make the flies swim side to side, or just dive?

I need to take a lesson from someone who knows how to tie those patterns that use the EP fibers. I'm not getting mine to look just right, they just look too 2D, not fat enough on the sides. Are you using taperized scissors ?
Old 08-29-2010, 03:06 PM

Byron,
Do you have the Palmer Chenille in the shop ? I would like to order some.

Paul

Last edited by The Principal; 08-29-2010 at 09:51 PM..
Old 08-30-2010, 11:20 AM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the comments. Steve, I'm going to throw one in Little River tonight and see if they act right. I remember the little adjustment we had to make on Rapalas. I'm hoping I can do the same. I use inexpensive spring scissors (Dr. Slick) for final trimming. To trim the initial shape I brush out the fibers with a tooth brush then make a few cuts with hair scissors.

The Principal,

We do stock Palmer Chenille in chartreuse, pearl and gray. We had plenty the other day. We re-order often. I checked, I put a bag of pearl and gray back for you. Just call the shop to order. Pick one color or order both. Thank you.

Byron