Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 08-25-2010, 09:36 AM

Default Deer Hunters on the board

How many of you all deer hunt? Over the years I have hunted I have only missed 1 or 2 opening days of season, I do it all from bow, black powder, to high powered riffles. For some reason I'm not getting as fired up about bow season this year, and i think its due to the heat. So for you hunters are you getting fired up yet?
Old 08-25-2010, 09:43 AM

I'm fired up! My two grandsons want to go deer hunting- ages 7 and 4. I'm looking for some private land as SWMBO isn't too keen on hunting WMAs with them. Will be strictly archery with them. Hopefully, it will be cooling some, if this week is an indication of the next few weeks.
They are also looking forward to dove and spring turkey seasons!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:01 PM

I'm fired up. I'll be deer hunting in Kentucky opening weekend. I'll be using open sights which limits my shots but I don't mind, that's what I like. I guess I'll be using a 30/30 or a 45/70. Then after that it's two weekends of bear and boar hunting in the Cherokee National Forest. I love listening to the plot hounds, camping with the guys and listening to the handlers on the radio. I have not scored a kill yet. Went twice last year. Someone in our group usually gets a boar or bear. It's exciting to think a dangerous animal might come running toward you 50 feet away and I have to react fast.

I heard the fall turkey season is statewide this year. I have not looked that up yet so don't take my word on it. I think you can also harvest a hen. Around our house there are tons of hens this year, probably too many hens.

Byron
Old 08-25-2010, 08:59 PM

I'm usually a mess by this time every summer. My wife is so tired of hearing about what I'm going to kill, she's praying for hunting season to hurry up and get here. I'll start this weekend by squirrel hunting during my free time from Saturday 8/28 until 9/17. Here's the rest of my schedule for the year.

9/18-9/21 bowhunt hogs, S. Cherokee
9/25-9/26, 10/2-10/3, 10/9-10/10 bowhunt bears, Blount Co.
10/16-10/20 bowhunt deer, Catoosa
10/23-10/24 bowhunt deer, Oak Ridge
10/29-10/31 muzzleloader hogs, S. Cherokee
11/5-11/14 bowhunt deer, Yankeeland
11/19-11/21 rifle deer, Lawrence Co, this usually turns into a predator hunt
11/26-11/28 rifle hogs, S. Cherokee
12/4-12/5 rifle predator hunt, Lawrence Co.
12/11-12/12 bowhunt deer, Oak Ridge
12/18-12/19 muzzleloader deer, Yankeeland
12/23-12/27 rifle predators, Lawrence Co
12/31-1/2 rifle predators, Blount Co
1/8-1/11 muzzleloader deer, Yankeeland
I'll run up to Yankeeland one more time for a bowhunt before 2/5 if I still have a buck tag and a winter storm is rolling in. I'll also predator hunt through March.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:03 PM

I am not fired up yet but will be after I return from my fishing trip to Montana in September. I hunt with a 54 cal. flintlock on some property that we lease in West Central Georgia.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:42 PM

Unhappy

Ever since that 18' fall with a loaded .270 in Jackson Co, I haven't been fired up about hunting a all! Still hurts 15 yrs later!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:46 PM

When it comes to hunting I'm all bird hunter. However, I have decided that this year I will dedicate a unset number of days to deer hunting. Need to justify a new freezer.

BTW, I hope Byron is right about turkey season, especially the hen part.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 08-25-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
I hope Byron is right about turkey season, especially the hen part.
Byron's right. I've got the regs in front of me. Blount, Knox County, Limit 1, Dec 6-Dec 17, either sex, shotgun/archery. Page 36
Old 08-26-2010, 06:48 AM

I have had a hard time getting fired up for the last 5 years or so to hunt here in TN. Usually by the time the season opens I am there, and I am shooting every evening now in preparation. The deer hunting I enjoy these days is done on my family property in S. GA, we kill some really big deer and it is always nice to get out of town.

What draws more of attention this time of year is anticipating grouse hunting after Thanksgiving through February, I seem to enjoy that more and more with each passing year.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

I too love to grouse hunt, however, since moving here from PA I have seen 5 grouse... 2 of those were in the national park! Where in the world do the grouse live in this state!? I hunted hard up at Royal Blue, havent seen one there yet... I have seen a few in the foothills WMA, which is out towards chilhowie and six mile.. But in the last decade in the foothills I have only seen the three... I even hunted them in the snow last season which up north is an automatic flush or two. I hunted for about 5 hours in the snow and never cut a set of tracks.. I guess this year I will have to head towards Crossville..?? Anyway, Some geneal info on the grouse in this state would be appreciated..