Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-19-2010, 03:11 PM

Lynn--Just keep in mind that the characters are strictly fictional. However, phrenology (which I believe without taking time to Google or other wise check it is the "art" of reading scalps) has long been practiced in many parts of the world. Sir Richard F. Burton, the great 19th c. explorer and man of many parts (he spoke 42 languages) was fascinated by the subject. Doubtless Harry, ever intrigued by the offbeat and outre, found it interesting and decided to work it into the book.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 08-19-2010, 03:14 PM

John--Although I don't know it for a fact in this case, I suspect there is some kind of contractual commitment not to print The Starlight Creek Angling Society. That is quite often the case with limited edition books, precisely because the publisher (and often the author) want it to be truly special and a good investment. In the case of this book, had you spent that $350 a few years back, it would have tripled or quadrupled (at least) by now. I have a copy in my library and really cherish it.
Jim Casada
Old 08-19-2010, 03:57 PM

Phrenology WOW!!!!!!!!! just added to my collection of useless information . Thanks, thats just to cool to not look up. Jim I always enjoy the back ground that you share. It really adds to the story.
Lynn
Old 08-22-2010, 11:50 AM

Jim, could you tell us what type of person Middleton was and what he was like to be around? I really enjoy his work, but there seems to be very little information about him. I don't believe I have ever seen a photo of him.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:42 PM

Ky Tim--If you can get your hands on the last issue of "Sporting Classics" magazine, you'll find my books column there devoted to Harry (and a photo). He was somewhat misanthropic (as I am), shy, reserved (especially in a crowd), and almost certainly insecure. Unlike a lot of exceptionally fine outdoor writers for whom booze has been a problem and a life-shortening addicition, I don't think he drank at all. He was widely read, almost certainly came from a somewhat dysfunctional family background, and had some social difficulties when it came to relating to a large group of folks or to taking orders from anyone.
One on one though, he could be incredibly charming and interesting, and once he found out I grew up in the Smokies and knew them intimately, not to mention learning of my knowledge of Horace Kephart, we really hit it off. I would also note that if you pay attention, there's a lot of revealing stuff about the man in his first two books.
If you can't find "Sporting Classics," e-mail me (jimcasada@comporium.net) and I think I can find the draft of my column on him. I had a huge crash and burn to my desktop computer, but my wife says the folks who said the mother board was dead rescued everything. If so, I've got it.
Jim Casada
Old 08-23-2010, 08:59 AM

Default Photo of Harry

I believe there is also a photo of Harry in the book of articles complied by Ron Ellis - In That Sweet Country. I think it is on the inside flap of the back page of the dust cover.

Jim, thanks for the information on your column. Where would you look for that magazine and what was the month and year?

Thanks again for this and all you share on this website.

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:43 PM

donwinn--It's the current issue (if it is out, and I think it is). It is offered at select newstands and you might find that info and the Sporting Classics web site. The photo used with the article is not the same one one shown with "In That Sweet Country."
Thanks for your kind words.
Jim Casada
Old 08-24-2010, 03:37 PM

Default Sporting Classics

Just picked up a copy and read the article by Mr. Cassada, great read!

Mike

PS: The issue of Sporting classics I bought was shrink wrapped/bagged, with a copy of a new NRA magazine
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton