Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-20-2010, 02:52 PM

Default ocoee river

on my way back from murphy nc yesterday i traveled through the ocoee forest...... i saw where the white water rafting takes place but was wondering do any of the stream running into the rafting area have trout in them......did i miss out on some good fishing by not stopping .... also i pased over the ocoee river are there trout in it....
dan
Old 08-20-2010, 04:21 PM

I've never heard of anyone fishing the Ocoee for trout and I grew up in the area. The Ocoee River below Parksville dam might contain trout since it flows into the Hiwassee but I don't think there's much there in terms of wadeable water.

In that area if you want to trout fish you generally go to the Hiwassee or Tellico Rivers. You were pretty close to the Hiwassee River which is noted for its trout fishing.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:39 PM

Default ocoee river

Hey fishingman 62
You may have noticed Goforth Branch as you came down the Ocoee river.It runs into the river about half way between the whitewater center and the lake.There is a pull off area by the bridge.Twra stocks Goforth once or twice a year.I`ve never fished it,but I have seen Quite a few fisherman there.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:23 PM

I thought the Ocoee was virtually dead, from pollution and from the fact that it goes dry sometimes. I could be completely off base, but thought I remember reading that at some point.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
I thought the Ocoee was virtually dead, from pollution and from the fact that it goes dry sometimes. I could be completely off base, but thought I remember reading that at some point.
Use to be, it is starting to return. Not really fishable populations but there is a smattering of yellow perch and bream in areas that hold water when it is not being released.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
Twra stocks Goforth once or twice a year.
Goforth is stocked more than twice a year, it also has no fishing on Fridays and single hook only.

Full schedule is here:
http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/Str...ut/sched10.pdf

Almost all the streams listed in Polk Co flow into the Ocoee. None of the creeks that are stocked have holdover trout (except maybe one). Some of the creeks in Copper Basin area do have spawning population, but know where you are, as there is also Superfund sites (plural).
Old 08-21-2010, 10:03 PM

Default Toccoa

I would say to cross the Georgia border where it's the Toccoa and fish there, but they are generating almost constantly due to the Lake Blue Ridge drawdown to fix the dam. It's a bummer because it is such an awesome river. Caught a 22" rainbow there in January and a 20" brown in May.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:17 AM

thanks everyone for your replies..... now i know for when i have to go back to murphy again
dan
Old 08-22-2010, 09:48 PM

TWRA used to stock trout in the fall and winter below a few of the dams on the ocoee. I am not sure if they still do or not. They were clearly there for put and take fishing. The water temps are very high in the summer. The Toccoa (which is actually the same river) holds some very nice fish but most of the access is difficult do to generation and private property.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:43 AM

The Ocoee below Parksville lake is stocked in the Spring, but does not have any holdover fish I know of. Several streams that feed the Ocoee and Parksville lake are stocked (Goforth, Big, Rough, Sylco to name a few) are stocked. There are modest populations of wild raibows in Rough and Tumbling creeks. Big may have a few as well. Some of these fish make it down into Parksville lake because decent sized rainbow (16-20") are caught occasionally in the lake at night near the dam. The Ocoee itself below Parksville is a decent bass/bream fishery and getting better.