Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-21-2010, 09:15 PM

Default Sun Valley Idaho

Any of you boys fished out in Sun Valley Idaho? I am taking a couple rich fellows out there (all expenses paid!) to fish, have read up about the water and contacted a few guides out there for info but i figured i would throw it out there and see if any of y'all been there?

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 08-22-2010, 08:55 AM

Been there quite a few times. Silvercreek is my favorite trout stream as you might guess from my forum name. I like the Nature Conservancy property. Sign in at the cabin or your trespassing. Tricos will be the big hatch this time of the year. I like a wound hackle spinner or one with spinner wings of Hi-Vis material. Your looking for a riffle section of water where the spinners will come down. Get a little below that riffle. Don't start casting as soon as the trout start feeding. The little guys come out first. Hold off until the big fish join in. Downstream presentation is best. There may still be a few PMDs around and the Baetis always seem to be around. After the main spinner fall ends , look along weed beds along the bank for fish picking off spinners that have collected there. This time of the year also offers some hopper fishing which does not requre the finesse of fishing tricos. This is a difficult stream to fish, and with the fish having been fished for all season, they are going to be even more wary. The Wood is also in the area. It is a freestone stream, so I have generally passed it up in favor the the spring creek. Enjoy, it is a great place. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 08-23-2010, 08:02 AM

I can add a few others as well in the area.A little less technical as well. The Big Lost river is a scenic drive over a mountain pass from town. Below the dam there is some wadeable water and also above the dam. I've had some good baetis fishing there. The is a stream up near Stanley, a fair scenic drive, named Bear Valley creek I believe. It is a cutthroat fishery that has received some attention. About any direction out of town will send you towards some nice streams. Check with the local shops there to get the latest, as always. I f you get to fish Bear Valley, please let us know how you did.

mstone
Old 08-23-2010, 09:15 AM

The Big Wood, Silver Creek, and the Big Lost are all nice rivers close to town. Enjoy and post a trip report when you get back. Fish the wood like you would fish any bigger river around here using attactors and a nymph dropper. There are some nice fish in that river and each area produces well or at least it did for me about 10 years ago. The tricos on Silver Creek are some of the funnest days fishing I have ever had.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:22 AM

Yep. When those big trout get into a pod sucking down tricos it is insane. Hard to tell when they have taken your fly in all the commotion, but when you hook up, the entire pod erupts. Quite a sight.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:21 PM

Brings back memories. I've never witnessed a hatch that you could set your watch too like you could the trico hatch through the conservancy. The summer I worked out there, I tied trico flies for the guides at Bill Mason Outfitters in Sun Valley. I tied them by the dozens in size 20-24 and couldn't tie enough of them. Hackle fiber tail, black thread body with a white stripped hackle stem rib, white cdc wings tied spent, with a little black dubbigng for the body. I was on the river at least twice a week through the month of August waiting on those little bugs to come down. Some times their would be literally sheets of them floating past you on the water. Good times.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:24 PM

Look Familiar? Regards, Silvercreek
Old 08-23-2010, 04:51 PM

Nice...I need to get back there as well.