Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-22-2010, 09:52 PM

Default Abrams in Cades Cove

Is it possible to fish Abrams Creek in the center of Cades Cove? I have only fished from the trail access up towards the falls. I have been reading Jim Gasques book and he mentions brook trout up high on Abrams and I got to wondering if you are allowed to "hop the fence" in Cades Cove and go looking for trout in the headwaters in the middle of the loop? Just curious!
Old 08-22-2010, 11:18 PM

Yeah Shaggy you can fish anywhere through the middle of the cove there shouldn't be any fences it is all part of the park and thus your land. You can get out of your car anywhere and walk through the fields to the stream at any point and fish if you desire. No brook trout in there I don't think though so not sure what that was about in the book. Even up higher on Anthony Creek it is just rainbows. What you ask though is an interesting question and maybe someone else on here knows an answer. Are there any streams that drain into the cove aka to Abrams that hold specks?

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...

Last edited by Crockett; 08-23-2010 at 12:35 AM..
Old 08-23-2010, 08:34 AM

Shaggy--I suspect that Jim Gasque had little, if any, first-hand familiarity with Abrams Creek/Cades Cove. He lived in Asheville and did most of his fishing in WNC. One thing is almost certain--speckled trout were gone from the stream in the Cove proper long before the coming of the Park or the publication of Gasque's book.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 08-25-2010, 08:46 PM

Mr. Casada, that is disappointing to hear about the brookies. I guess while I am reading Jim Gasques book I tend to forget that it was written about 60 years ago. So when he stated that the "upper prongs make for some of the best brook trout fishing in the Smokies" I got excited and wanted to do some exploring.

So does anyone on here ever fish Abrams up above the the trail head or any of the tributaries?
Old 08-26-2010, 08:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

I have started a time or two at the old grinding mill and worked up. It gets small up through there, but is definitely fishable for quite a ways. Its also kind of interesting between the trail head and mill. The river splits multiple times and goes through a series of islands making for even smaller water, however all the tiny streams come back toegther at some point making the stream that you see at the gringing mill. I think the water above the mill is definitely worth fishing.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:02 AM

I can hardly imagine voluntarily venturing to Cades Cove to go fishing... that place is a touron nightmare.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
I can hardly imagine voluntarily venturing to Cades Cove to go fishing... that place is a touron nightmare.
Get a dual sport bike, as long as a park ranger isn't around it can be quite fun dodging the tourons.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

fish from the trailhead backwards...that will be the spring section....it will take you back into the cove and thru the beaver gnawed area....keep your eyes open for bears
Old 08-28-2010, 08:24 PM

Shaggy, the Fisheries Management biologists reported finding 'bows in these upper Abrams Creek tribs:
>>>>> 2/15 Update: Deleted stream names previously posted.

Not sure exactly when they did this particular research, but it was less than 60 years ago.

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 02-15-2012 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: To help protect the wellbeing of the waters, etc.