Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 08-23-2010, 08:31 AM

Default Redfish in the rain

I fished Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, dodging thunder storms the whole way. The tide was late enough for me to fish in HHI right after work on Friday.

I got there and immediately saw about three tailing....I made 2 casts and hooked up on an 18 inch fish on a gold crab pattern.

As soon as I let that fish go the sky absolutely opened up. It was raining so hard that you couldn't see a fish moving on the flat unless he was standing at your feet waving at you. Then the lightning started. I moved in to the tree line and took shelter from the lightning.....it did not help the rain which I sat in for the next hour waiting for the lightning to pass.
The lightning did finally pass and I changed position on the flat. Fished for a little while without seeing a redfish, but it was still raining and visibility was tough. Moved again and the rain stopped and I started seeing some movement. I ended up catching one more, and missed one.

By now the tide had fallen too much and I did not see any more fish moving.

I went out again with my daughter and her friend to a flat near the house on Saturday. There were again thunderstorms, but we dodged the main storms, and the lightning stayed relatively far away (8-12 miles). I saw alot of fish, and cast to at least 10 different fish. It was a frustrating evening for me...I was pulling out all the bad habits all at once, flailing the water, moving the fly to aggresively, not exercising patience to wait for a good cast, you name it. I finally did catch one, on one of my spoon flies:

I also had another on that I lost, then at 820pm on my way out I saw a fish busting something on the bank, and I managed to cath this one:

So on a day where I had a good 10 shots at fish, I only managed to hook 3 and land two. Not a bad day by any stretch, but I was disappointed in myself.

On Sunday fished another flat with a couple of friends. It started raining almost as soon as we got out there, really pouring. Didn't see anything until the rain stopped, or at least slowed to a sprinkle. The fish on this day didn't seem to want to come all the way out on the flat. I saw them and heard them busting and chasing bait in the grass. Then I finally started seeing some fish on the end of a flat. They were not cruising, and they were not tailing. They were darting across the end of the flat like torpedos. I finally managed a cast far enough in front of one of the rockets to have the fly there when he went buy, and missed him. Tried it several more times and slam, nice fish on. This fish rolled and was very red. Then the line just went slack. I thought that the fish had come unhooked, but the fish had actually pulled out the nail not on the flyline, taking my fly, the leader and tippet. This was Orvis wonderline redfish line in 7wt, with the nail knot that had come on the line from the factory. The lightning then came down on us quickly and we were forced off of the water.
The good news is that even with the relatively poor tides this weekend, the tides were running at least 6 inches higher than predicted, and I was able to fish and see fish each time.
JohnH0802
Old 08-24-2010, 12:39 AM

Great pictures and information. Unfortunately, for those of us who are not living next to the flats, we are getting a real itch for reds! I will be in Jacksonville during the week after labor day weekend. I hope to get into some of those guys, or whatever is biting there at the time. Thanks for making us drool!

Later
Buster
Old 08-24-2010, 08:23 AM

It is actually a defense mechanism for all those on this board that live close to the mountains and trout streams....I read those posts about stopping at the creek for a couple of hours before work and I start drooling!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:30 AM

I'll trade places for a week.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:16 PM

That is an offer I would have to consider!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:14 PM

I would trade with both of you . I am 4 hours from trout and 6 hours from redfish.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH0802 View Post
That is an offer I would have to consider!
Hey John...what's the best wading tides going to be in September. I'm going to come down and fish for a few days if the tides work out so that the majority of my trip is on the weekend?
Old 08-30-2010, 11:04 PM

How do those Redfish taste? Grill them?
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 08-31-2010, 03:44 PM

They are a really good eating fish. I haven't kept any this year yet, but I will normally keep a slot fish or two each year. I did catch this pig the other day, released him to grease! I like them blackened.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br549 View Post
Hey John...what's the best wading tides going to be in September. I'm going to come down and fish for a few days if the tides work out so that the majority of my trip is on the weekend?
I will check them out and give you my best answer. I cannot do anything about the wind changing the prediction, but I will tell you the best looking predictions that I see.

Tags
beaufort reds