Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-23-2010, 09:52 PM

Default Davidson Brown

finally got to get out and fish a bit the other day with a couple of my Vet PHWFF buddies. Crazy thing, I had fished the D, which stands for ditch to me, for about an hour in the famous hatchery stretch, which is not my kinda thing what so ever. To be honest i have only fished the D about 3 times and I have lived less than 45 minutes from it for over 5 years. Having only fished twice before with limited success at best i felt that I had a little unfinished business there, but since i am not a fan of that type of fishing I had let the notion of getting even go years ago. Well there I was in the ditch when my buddy came up and we talked, he said some guys were taking some fish on cream midges, as we talked I tied on a cream midge under a big Chernobyl ant, now I did not have a net on me as usual, as my buddy kept talking i made a cast of at least 8 feet, wham! I set the hook and instantly knew it was a good fish. So my buddie gets excited comes down to help me land the fish. He had the net and he says "I even got a camera on me!' My response was "then this fish will surely break off!" We laughed as the fish ran up and down all over the mighty river , Finally we netted this nice brown. I'm happy to get the fish and end my issue with the D, haven't been back, may not except to hit the native water up from here, oh well good fish and thanks to my Marine buddy who m,ade it happen Semper Fi !!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 08-23-2010, 10:58 PM

Very nice butter-gold brown trout! Sounds like he gave quite the tussle too!
I dont live too far from the Davidson either, and rarely fish it for the same reasons you dont. Combat fishing is not my idea of fun. I've fished below and above the hatchery but leave that section alone. I've stood on the bridge and watched so many people fishing that section that it looked comical. Not my cup of tea either, but regardless, that's a very pretty fish!
Mark 1:17
Old 08-24-2010, 08:56 AM

Nice fish. There are lots of "under fished" stretches of the Davidson that hold quality trout and don't get the pressure that the ditch fish get. They still have a good number of anglers drifting flies over them but you can go a good while and not see another angler if you are willing to not drive to the hatchery.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:45 AM

What a beauty! Congratulations!
Old 08-24-2010, 10:08 PM

Awesome fish man. I hate that stretch of the ditch myself. The crowds are just not worth it. But I really like some of the creeks full of wild brookies and bows. To be honest that is about the only water I know in the Pisgah/Brevard area. But nice brown. good luck.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:58 PM

Man, nice fish. I know that "ditch" has some monsters in it. I've only been able to fish it one time and it rained like crazy that day. Would like to get back up there sometime.
Thanks for sharing!

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 08-25-2010, 10:01 PM

Smile Congats!

Holy PIG! Nice fish! I need to make it up to the Davidson one day!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Great fish.....I am missing the mountains.