Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 08-27-2010, 12:26 PM

Rodonthefly
I guess you could say I am a fairly serious deer hunting, although it is turkeys and trout that combine my soul. I've killed more than 300 deer in my life. That's a lot, but they are very plentiful here and we eat a great deal of venison. Also, my wife Ann and me have written a number of cookbooks in which venison figures in a large way. For one of them we ate venison twice a day for six months while testing recipes. That is a bit more than anyone wants, believe me.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 08-27-2010, 08:57 PM

Jim, I just took a look at yor web site and it shows that your venison cook book is out of stock. When do you think you might get somemore of those in. I would like a copy of that, for I'm always trying to find new ways to sneek it in a dish or two so my better half dosnt know. haha. Let me know what it is I need to do to get one.

I saw your comment on the elk heard under the smokie section... i'm hear to tell you my friend as long as I have my guns, I will continue to enjoy one of the greatest past times that the good lord as blesse me with and so will my boys. After all i break the law everyday on the way to work by speeding. And as long as my taxes are paid I will do what I wish with my land and the animals that are on it. Not saying I'm going to kill all and when ever I feel like it by no means. So don't take that the wrong way.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
we ate venison twice a day for six months
Jim, what size rack do you have?
Old 08-28-2010, 04:09 PM

Rodonthefly--Both of the venison cookbooks are out of print and, incredibly, bring prices of up to $200 (these were comb-bound paperbacks which originally sold for under $15). I do still have Wild Bounty in stock. It contains 50+ of our best venison recipes along with chapters on small game, waterfowl, wild turkey, earth's bounty (fruits, nuts, wild veggies), etc.
Obviously you share some of my perspective on current trends as far as attitudes towards hunters are concerned. I've been a law-abiding, tax-paying citizen all my years, and other than two traffic citations spaced about 30 years apart I've never come close to running afoul of the law. However, I WILL hunt on land I own, I WILL stand staunch on my right to own and use guns (and lead ammo), I WILL fish and occasionally eat fish, and I WILL NOT bend to the mindlessness which now seems to possess our country's leaders.
Call me a survivalist or contrarian if you wish, but I think I have adequate connected to the land skills, and certainly an adequate work ethic, to manage. Apparently a lot of folks are thinkng somewhat like us, because my brother and his wife are looking for a place to settle into for their middle and later years in WNC. They now live in Knoxville but their kids are grown and out on their own. The real estate agent with whom they are dealing says she's seeing far more demand for places with some land and some water than ever before--just in case.
Jim Casada
Old 08-28-2010, 04:13 PM

John--Man, is that a loaded question. I think I'll answer this way--I'm a wary old buck, past his prime and with his teeth wearing down. To borrow from a country song, "I ain't as good as I once was," and in my case I also ain't as good once as I ever was. But I still can catch trout, shoot several deer each year (bow, blackpowder, and modern rifle), grow a garden, and walk a few mountain miles without flat-out falling out.
My energy and zest for life are at least on the 12-point rack, 170 Boone & Crockett scale.
Jim Casada
Old 08-29-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
I too love to grouse hunt, however, since moving here from PA I have seen 5 grouse... 2 of those were in the national park! Where in the world do the grouse live in this state!? I hunted hard up at Royal Blue, havent seen one there yet... I have seen a few in the foothills WMA, which is out towards chilhowie and six mile.. But in the last decade in the foothills I have only seen the three... I even hunted them in the snow last season which up north is an automatic flush or two. I hunted for about 5 hours in the snow and never cut a set of tracks.. I guess this year I will have to head towards Crossville..?? Anyway, Some geneal info on the grouse in this state would be appreciated..
Don't know anything about overall population numbers but have seen grouse out in Catoosa...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 08-29-2010, 03:10 PM

I don't know how anyone could kill these gentle harmless creatures. Years ago I use to hunt and shoot just about anything that had a season. Now I like to just sit and watch, or maybe take a few photos. Besides, you can get all the meat you want from the grocery store. The chain I shop at has a machine that produces meat with a sticker on the package saying no animals were harmed in producing this product.

Look at this and tell me you could shoot an animal like this. I have given her the guest room at my house just to protect her from the mean old hunters.
http://ww.com/dilliecam?force_resolution=320_240
Old 08-29-2010, 07:31 PM

Flyman--Like your local grocery store, I too have a machine that produces meat. Indeed, I have several of them--a .30-06, a .243, a .270, a .280, a .308, a .300, .45 and a .50 caliber smokepoles, two compound bows, and for an old man (me) a crossbow. That's just for deer. Best of all though, my product comes without a sticker which bears a price.

It's possible, just possible, I'm a "mean old hunter," but I'd rather think of myself as a nice counterbalance to the lollipop sentimentalists.
Jim Casada
Old 08-29-2010, 07:48 PM

Flyman -- I'm with you, my man! Why kill 'em when you can shoot with a 35mm? BTW, nice room for your doe.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:44 PM

I am pumped this year. I started back with a bow this year for the first time in ten years. I can not wait. To me bow hunting to hunting is like fly fishing is to fishing. It is just enjoyable and back to a more one on one with nature. Now with that said I also got a browning 270 and a cva apex 308 for rifle season. I hope to do well this year.