Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-25-2010, 09:41 AM

Default Elk

Not fishng related, but I just read a news article about the Smoky elk herd. Starting from 52 elk the herd is up to 135 elk with 25 calves this year. Neat.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:41 AM

Bring on the Tennessee Elk heard, hopefully my kids will be able to hunt them by the time their my age. We have had a couple get hit by cars here in Anderson County over the past couple of years.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:45 PM

Rodonthefly--Maybe--but I worry about the future of hunting in this country--period. Just today the National Shooting Sports Foundation issued a warning that the EPA is considering a ban on all lead ammunition under the Toxic Substances Act of 1976 (never mind that hunting ammo was explicitly exempted in that act). The driving forces behind this are one of the anti-hunting groups (I think Environmental Defense Fund although I could be wrong on that), and of course the head of the EPA is the former governer of New Jersey who banned bear hunting despite overwhelming evidence that it made good wildlife management sense.
Hunting in this country is in danger, and rest assured that once a wedge is in that door, banning of recreational fishing will be next in line. We live in a crazy country where urbanites without a hint of conneciton to the land and wilds are ruling the roost.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-01-2010, 01:57 PM

I saw some of the elk last week in Cataloochie....the bulls are starting to bugle,and I heard a couple(or one) upstream on Palmer branch in the mountains.It's something really cool to hear.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:00 PM

Jim,
I couldn't agree with you more. Also, goes for recreational target shooting and ultimately self defence. Crazy world indeed.
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
Rodonthefly--Maybe--but I worry about the future of hunting in this country--period. Just today the National Shooting Sports Foundation issued a warning that the EPA is considering a ban on all lead ammunition under the Toxic Substances Act of 1976 (never mind that hunting ammo was explicitly exempted in that act). The driving forces behind this are one of the anti-hunting groups (I think Environmental Defense Fund although I could be wrong on that), and of course the head of the EPA is the former governer of New Jersey who banned bear hunting despite overwhelming evidence that it made good wildlife management sense.
Hunting in this country is in danger, and rest assured that once a wedge is in that door, banning of recreational fishing will be next in line. We live in a crazy country where urbanites without a hint of conneciton to the land and wilds are ruling the roost.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-02-2010, 04:32 PM

Tennessee has a constitutional amendment on the ballot this year to give citizens the right to hunt. Kentucky may have such a vote in 2012. As for the lead ban, several companies such as Barnes offer solid copper alloy bullets which would get around a lead ban, although such a ban on lead would be burdensome. With all the anti this and that, it is like being nibbled to death by ducks. Silvercreek
Old 09-02-2010, 05:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

The anti hunters in this country amaze me. We have more deer, turkey, and other wild game than when the first Europeans originally came here, with less habitat...why? Because of conservation fueled largley and almost entirely by the money generated from HUNTING liscences... Without the money generated from liscence sales we would loose the ability to buy and preserve land, re introduce once native species(like elk), and manage the wildlife we have. I would never say that everyone should hunt, It is not for everyone, neither is fishing for that matter. But when people support Anti Hunting groups they hurt everyone and everything, especially the wildlife and wild places we enjoy.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:16 AM

Most anti hunting supporters don't care about sound logic like you just stated,they just don't like to think of Bambi being slaughtered by mean people with high powered rifles.
For the most part,they are uninformed people led around like sheep by people wanting money and power.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:59 AM

Default Population Control

Silvercreek-If they get lead banned,copper'll be next.This needs to be nipped in the bud.Hunters and fishermen HAVE paid for all of this.They banned lion hunts ni Cal. and joggers paid for it.Banned bear hunt in Jersey and 2 kids paid.We control the population of every specie in usa-EXEPT-the specie that needs it most-HUMANs!PETA would have everything live,but I'll bet anything they have ORKIN spray their house and by walking around kill many bugs every day!