Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-26-2010, 09:02 PM

I was talking to a couple of my friends about this very subject the other day. One used mirage, the other used super strong. The one that used super strong told me that his buddy cosistantly caught more fish than him using mirage in tailwaters so he has switched to mirage. I'll probably switch to mirage next time I need tippet myself.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:37 AM

I have used RIO tippet, didnt like how it kinked up on me, ALOT. I am currently using Orvis Super Strong and it has been great so far, used it to land my first Park Rainbow.

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 08-27-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
I have used about everything I could get my hands on and I completely love/adore this stuff from Walmart. Especially for under $2 a spool. I say use what you want; but, take the time to exam the tippet in the water and see how it works for the color and rig setup you want to use...:

That's an awsome Deal!

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 08-27-2010, 08:49 AM

While I agree that the Cortland Fairplay is good tippet, I use it occasionally, don't forget that Orvis Super strong is 40 meters, Cortland Fairplay 25 meters.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennswede View Post
While I agree that the Cortland Fairplay is good tippet, I use it occasionally, don't forget that Orvis Super strong is 40 meters, Cortland Fairplay 25 meters.
Good note! I use so much tippet it is crazy at times and that availability/reliability of the C. Fairplay has worked very well for me. I do not want to pay for the fancy packaging, spools, or gimmicky setups of some of the brands.

Orvis Super Strong has been good tippet when I have used it... Their leaders perform well too...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 08-27-2010, 11:43 AM

How does the cortland compare in line strength compared to the Orvis Super Strong. I guess I could look this up myself, in terms of rated line strength, but I also wanted top know in terms of personal experience using the two?
Old 08-29-2010, 03:02 AM

Don,
I think the Orvis supper strong is about as good overall as you can buy. There are number of things I look at when buying tippet. I use it for most applications with the exception of using fluorocarbon to tie on droppers in tail waters.

!. Price- It's alway nice to catch something on sale, price is way down the list generally, but no tippet is a bargain if it's old. weak, or won't hold knots; I don't care how much of a bargain it is.

2. Dispenser or Spool type- I like 100 yard spools when I can find them, and some tippet spools fit together well and some don't, I also like some kind of elastic keeper on the spool. The 100 yard spools although more expensive up front usually work out to be cheaper in the end.

3. Stretch- you actually want it to stretch some, mono does, fluorocarbon not as much, but remember in some applications that is an advantage

4. Knot Strength- mono wins here

5. Abrasion Resistance- Fluorocarbon has a slight advantage

6. Visibility- Some brands are very shiny, and I think this one of the places fluorocarbon has an advantage although I use a homemade leader degreaser that takes some of the shine off mono.

7. I like the brands that put a date on the product- I know it hasn't been setting in a fly shop for 3 years. Fluorocarbon does have a longer shelf life.

8 True diameter- some brands are 2 or 3 X sizes larger in diameter than marked on the spool.

9. Strength- not all materials of the same size are equal in strength, some brands achieve the listed strength due to over sizing the tippet material, see #8. Anymore there isn't enough difference strength wise to make much difference.

10. Material flexibility- the amount of stiffness between brands can vary from very limp to very stiff. Orvis is about right for me. It's stiff enough that it keeps it's shape when tying knots, but flexible enough to let the fly drift naturally. Fluorocarbon has improve the last few years, but it's still generally a little stiffer than mono.

Tippet material is one of those products that has improved by leaps and bounds in the last few year. I can remember when Orvis 4X was only equal to 2.5-3 pounds.

Last edited by flyman; 08-29-2010 at 03:30 AM.. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me
Old 08-29-2010, 08:07 AM

I fish Orvis super strong, but I have fished a lot of Rio as well. I just got two new spools of Orvis and I have a complaint. While I like the elastic keeper, it is so tight that when I first unspooled some tippit it curled the tippit badly. I replaced the elastic bands with those fuzzy ones that look suspiciously like they belong a woman's pony tail. Like the Orvis, but they need to revisit the keeper specs.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:00 PM

Default Thanks

Thank you very much for the information. I really had already made up my mind, but your input just solidified my thoughts. Given the number of views, this is something that many people have interest in.

Thanks again.

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.