Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-27-2010, 08:50 PM

Default Fly line color

Hi all, is it important to use muted color fly lines in the park or are the bright colored ones ok?
Old 08-27-2010, 09:38 PM

There are a lot of factors that affect the fishing usually as you probably know so it is hard to say for sure. If you can find some natural color like dark green, tan, brown I would say get it cause it can't hurt. But if you can't find it then don't worry about it and go fishing anyway you will still catch plenty probably in the smokies. I have fished a lot with bright orange and yellow fly line and still caught fish just fine. Lots of time up there my fly line is never on the water just tippet and some leader after all. I recently got some fly line from a place called allen & company cause it is real cheap like $14. The problem with them is they only have bright green in wf4floating line so that is what I use now. I wonder if Byron has some at LRO. I may be going by there tomorrow I will check. Wish I could find some good fly line in natural color that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...

Last edited by Crockett; 08-28-2010 at 06:57 AM..
Old 08-27-2010, 10:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

I agree with crockett, you can catch fish regardless of fly line color. I also believe that fly lines prices are absolutely rediculous!! In some cases peoples line costs more than their rod! The only thing that really matters is that your line floats. I believe sinking line, of any color neutral or not, will spook fish. Go with the cheap stuff!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:07 PM

I like a natural color. In the park, my fly line rarely hits the water unless there is a fish on.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 08-28-2010, 07:56 AM

Canetuck--I have pretty strongly held feelings on this one. If you are interested in striking photography, use one of those bright orange, flourescent green, or vivid yellow fly lines. ON the other hand, if you are interested in catching more trout, use earth tone lines--grey, dull green, or brown. You won't have much line in the water on smaller Park streams, but even on them there's the occasional long run where you can and should make 30-40 foot casts. Get the dull color, and most of the name line manufacturers have them
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 08-28-2010, 08:06 AM

I like the earth color lines better as well, maybe it's just a mental thing, but they are less visible and sometimes I have line on the water on longer casts in the Park. Look at the Cortland 333 lines, they are around $30 and they have them in a duller green color that blends in pretty well with the environment. I have several of them in the 4 and 5 weight size, and they cast pretty well on both tailwaters and Park streams.

Neal
Old 08-28-2010, 08:37 AM

I prefer a muted color line as well. The higher above water any of my gear is , the more concerned I am about it being visible to the fish. The good news is that in a few weeks the bright yellow and orange lines will fit right in with the leaves. I have heard fly lines can be dyed safely and such info can probably be found on the internet. As to cost, check out some of the sales and the "beginner" fly lines. I put such a line on a 3wt I was going to use fishing along rocks where it would most likely get stepped on a lot. Turned out to be a great line at a third of the cost of a new top shelf line. Silvercreek
Old 08-28-2010, 09:09 AM

I use a high-vis yellow on my 5wt in the Park, and have a high-vis orange on my 8wt. I havent had any problems catching fish as long as my leader/tippet had enough length to it.

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 08-28-2010, 11:30 AM

Tippet and leader are more important than line color.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:34 PM

I think principal hit this one on the head. I'll also throw out that all lines cast the same color shadow, which I think can really spook fish also. The term "lining" comes to mind.

Anyone fish sky blue colored lines in salt or tailwaters? I was talking to a salt guide this summer that only fishes clear intermediate lines.

www.flyfishtennessee.com
www.facebook.com/flyfishtennessee