Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-27-2010, 10:33 PM

Default Proposed Changes to the Hiwassee

Unless a major tsunami hits TWRA this will happen next year. Anything proposed has already been basically rubber stamped, and it appears as though the hiwassee is moving to a new category. I heard they were ceasing brown trout stockings after this year, and going to catchable rainbows only, and only during fall/winter. Sorry to hear it for the Hiwassee folks, and will be attending any and all meetings to voice my opposition to this latest stunt by the crew posing as Coldwater fisheries managers.

http://tndeerblog.blogspot.com/2010/...g-changes.html
Old 08-28-2010, 09:36 AM

and removing the Trophy section of the river. i have never fished this river. but man when you have a good thing. why mess it up.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:31 AM

They have to keep the meat hunters happy. Delayed harvest doesn't impress me much either, the regulations on the Clinch seem to be much better for growing quality trout. Stocking fat stockers and letting people catch them over and over till they die isn't fishery management IMO.

Neal
Old 08-28-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by white95v6 View Post
... but man when you have a good thing. why mess it up.
Trout don't grow very much if at all in the Hiwassee, especially in the trophy section. At least that is what TWRA and their data support.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:54 AM

Is it the warmer water temps? I have only fished the HI twice, but it seems to have a large amount of aquatic insects.

Neal
Old 08-28-2010, 02:15 PM

http://http://news.tennesseeanytime.org/node/5818
This link tells of all regulation changes. Taken from www.tnwildlife.org.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:26 PM

Here is a link for a pdf file that gives reasons for the proposed changes for 2011.

http://news.tennesseeanytime.org/sys...Web%20site.pdf
Old 08-28-2010, 03:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

In my own opinion the HI was a largely put and take fishery anyway. After fishing it for 2 years when I lived closer to it I rarely caught a fish over 14 inches. I never caught brown...ever... Now I usually do not agree with the state biologists, however I do nnot believe this has anything to do with "the meet hunters" and their haappiness. If a river doesnt stay cool enough, which the HI rarely does, during the summer months, why stock it with the excpectation that the trout will hold over? The HI is a beautiful river with great hatches...problem is for close to a decade it has been a mediocre trout fishery at best.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:05 PM

2weight,

Maybe it's not about pleasing people who mainly looking to fill their limits, but they are still going to stock trout, sounds like mainly rainbows, so I am sure certain people will still be happy. DH will make some people happy as well, just depends on the anglers preference. I am no prude, I have caught quite a few stockers in my time, many 20 minutes from my door at Nances Ferry on the Holston. I started having some success on the Clinch last year and I enjoy catching the Browns and Bows that have pretty much grown up in the river after being stocked as fingerlings. These trout are so much healthier looking and fight better than most stockers that I have caught. I pretty much stopped fishing the Holston after catching some on the Clinch, so I have little interest in driving nearly 2 hours to catch stockers on the HI.

Neal
Old 08-28-2010, 06:52 PM

It's a misnomer to think that there aren't many holdovers in the river. There are plenty of Browns in there as history has showed. I know many locals who can tell you about it. I also get reports about 68 degree water as low as Reliance during this heat wave. Nah, it's not nearly as bad as people want to think. I'm with Neal, it's all about making room for more P&T fishing. I guess that's what is in demand.

As a side note, the river has fished real good this year, I have personally caught better fish than in many years and so has several others I know. I think the Hiwassee is a good brown trout fishery, what people forget that the browns are not nearly as easy to catch as the bows. Especially not when they reach 14" and above. It becomes a high water deal and nocturnal feeding habits.