Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-28-2010, 07:00 PM

Hans,

Did you read TWRA's response as to why they are changing things. Said the locals and guides agreed there were no holdovers in the Trophy Section. I would believe what people are telling you on the stream. Heck, I never believe the govt., I work for them, LOL (not TWRA).

Neal
Old 08-28-2010, 07:08 PM

Neal,

I haven't really read anything about it, and no I haven't heard from any guides. I can't speak for em' but I think Rocky Cox still fishes down there. Anyway, several browns have been caught this year in the 17" to 21" bracket, albeit not all in the trophy section. I'm pretty sure these browns have been in there a while. Don Denney, who I know personally can probably shine more light on this river than any electroshocking crew can. Just look at his web site under his photo albums. That is evidence enough. I used to frequent Reliance Fly and Tackle when they were still in business. They had some pictures of big browns from the river. I think it's as simple as this. It's not easy to catch big browns consistently and people need easy catches or they won't come, hence preference for rainbows. It's all about catching lots of fish.

http://hiwassee.net

Last edited by tennswede; 08-28-2010 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: url added
Old 08-28-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfish View Post
Trout don't grow very much if at all in the Hiwassee, especially in the trophy section. At least that is what TWRA and their data support.
So where do the big fish on don denney's website come from?

http://hiwassee.net
Old 08-28-2010, 07:47 PM

I fished the HI last August at the Stair Steps. Late in the evening I got into a seam of fast water and pulled about a dozen 10-12 inch Browns out on a BHPT nymph. Rest of the day was sporadic Rainbows also on the nymph. I fished a weekday which is the norm for me and only saw two others on the river. The water was warm compared to the Clinch but the pulses out of Appalachia hydro plant every other hour were keeping things bearable for the fish. Every fish I caught looked healthy and were returned to the river ASAP. I caught about 20 fish during six hours of fishing. I hope to get back down there in a week or two, especially since I have heard better fishing reports about HI this year. Whatever TWRA does I just hope the trout fishing remains good. HI is such a beautiful river to fish it would be a shame if things undergo a radical change just for the benefit of any certain group.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:54 PM

Old East TN Boy,

Just remember that it is true that right now through sometime in October it is the hottest and slowest time in the river. It is still not bad but just to put expectations in perspective. It will never be SoHo or Clinch but it is not deserving the bad rap its getting from a lot of people.

Sure, you will catch a lot of stockers but you have that on other tailwaters also. I do think prime time for the Hi is late winter early spring though.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:17 PM

This is just my opinion, but this move by JIm Habera and his merry men, is just another example of the mismanagement they have practiced on all our area coldwater fisheries. You would be hard pressed to find another coldwater fisheries team who is seemingly as far off as this bunch of clowns is.

I guess we can add it to the list of idiotic moves and statements they have made over the years.

Second best idiotic move for this year, first being the stocking of trout in the Big Pigeon River, which spikes to trout killing temps before the end of May every year.

We all, even those like me who don't fish the Hiwassee much, need to rise up and defeat this bogus proposal before it goes any further. I will try to gather a contact list of commissioners, and also gather public meetings date, we all need to join together and not let another fishery go down the drain.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
This is just my opinion, but this move by JIm Habera ....
Hiwassee is not in Jim's region, as it is in Region III.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post
Is it the warmer water temps?
A good review of the issues that limit fish growth is discussed in the management plan:
http://www.tennessee.gov/twra/fish/S...see%20Plan.pdf

Also worth reading:
http://www2.tntech.edu/fish/PDF/Hiwassee1.pdf

and a creel survey:
http://www2.tntech.edu/fish/PDF/Hiwassee%202004.pdf
Old 08-28-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennswede View Post
So where do the big fish on don denney's website come from?
4 decent browns since 2008, out of 45,000 or so adult browns stocked and another 50,000 or so fingerlings. Dismal results.

If you want trout to have growth on the Hiwassee, IMO, you need a limedoser, routine gravel enhancement, and better water temperature management. None of those things are proposed, so creel restrictions of any kind really are not warranted, IMO.

Yes I am local.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:29 AM

There are no lack of nutrients for brown trout on the Hiwassee. Browns as you know prefer a diet of fish and other critters, not so much insects. I just don't believe all the statements from several internet sources about no hold over browns, and the browns are all dying. Brown trout can survive up to at least 78 degrees. They won't die if you don't' fish for them at that temp. As for limedosers don't think it would do anything for brown trout. In my native Sweden they are used to raise ph levels due to acid rain, don't know if that is really a specific brown trout method. It's more of a survival for all species. I don't think the HI is near the acid problems we have at the higher mountain ridges. Don't know for sure on that but it's not relevant for this discussion.

I simply disagree that there are only few decent browns in the river. Of course it all depends on what you consider a decent brown. My adversity for this whole change it's not so much creel restrictions but more of the artificial no bait that appeals to me. It's nice to have a stretch of a river in this state of that size with stricter regs. Making it a Tellico Zoo is not my cup of tea.

Last edited by tennswede; 08-29-2010 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: added text