Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-29-2010, 10:03 PM

Default Pamela Duncan

Anybody read any of her stuff? What did ya think?
Old 08-29-2010, 10:06 PM

Just did a search on Amazon. I thought she was an Appalachia writer. Apparently her stuff is, um, "female oriented?" I'll have to try again to get my appalachia fix.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:13 AM

I like her work very much, it helps me get in touch with my feminine side.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:49 PM

Dang it...
Old 08-30-2010, 03:09 PM

Blueraiderfan--Methinks you can find more meaningful (and manly) literature in a hurry unless you like chick flicks, wear aprons, and tilt at windmills associated with chauvanism. Try Ron Rash, John Parris, Michael Frome, Harry Middleton, Jesse Stuart, or if you must have a female writer, Wilma Dykeman or Caroline Gordon's Aleck Maury, Sportsman. Or,if you are willing to venture a bit wider afield than the Smokies, Nash Buckingham is hard to beat, and anyone who hasn't read Robert Ruark's The Old Man and the Boy and The Old Man's Boy Grows Older has led a life of literary deprivation. Add Archibald Rutledge, Havilah Babcock, and Charlie Elliott to the mix and you still retain a distinctly Southern flair. Although not outdoorsy as such and not Appalachia based, Ferrol Sams' books are wonderful.
That's but a start, and if stories of the mountains appeal to you, there's an extensive bibliography, with annotations, in the back of my book. I'm sitting in a room surrounded by several thousand wonderful companions in the form of books, so this is a subject of great interest to me.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 08-30-2010, 08:21 PM

Ah! I thought you might leave a few nuggets out there for me I will look into these as a start and more when I get your book this Christmas
Old 08-30-2010, 10:16 PM

Default Appalachia writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Just did a search on Amazon. I thought she was an Appalachia writer. Apparently her stuff is, um, "female oriented?" I'll have to try again to get my appalachia fix.
Although his writings are not about fishing (he was an avid fisherman, however), for a darker look at Appalachia (& life), you might enjoy "The Stories of Breece D'J Pancake".
Breece was from W Va and based his stories there. His first & only book was hailed as the best writing since Faulkner and Hemmingway. He committed suicide shortly thereafter.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:56 PM

Ah...don't know if I can handle any Hemmingwayish stuff...Quit reading him after about 5 books. Just too depressing. I'll look into it though.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:19 PM

"On The Spine Of Time" is on the way to my house. I don't even think it has any girly stuff in it.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyC

I second Mr. Casada's suggestion of Ron Rash, and I'll throw in Jeff Daniel Marion, a great influences during my poetry/creative writing days in college. He's a superb poet and a darn good fly fisherman too. He often writes about fishing, but the bulk of his work concentrates on Appalachian wisdom and quirks. I think he'd be right up your alley, BlueRaiderFan. Check out "The Chinese Poet Awakens," an interesting comparison of Chinese and Appalachian cultures which can seem, at times, very similar. I think Mr. Marion still teaches at ETSU. Check it out!