Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-30-2010, 09:39 AM

Default Holston Water Temps

Last week the warm water finally arrived to the Holston. The Coldwater lasted longer this summer then any I can remember, and if the fish are left alone we can look forward to a great year next year.

For now it would be best if all of us who enjoy fishing the Holston, gave the fish a break until late fall or winter when the water temps cool back down.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:16 AM

That seems odd isn't Cherokee lake where the water comes from for the Holston? I have noticed the water in Cherokee has been very hot this summer but has noticebly cooled down in the last couple of weeks it is actually comfortable to swim in again. I would have thought that would have helped the Holston temps but not really sure how all of that works.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 08-30-2010, 03:22 PM

Surface temps have probably cooled down because of over night lows dropping lower then they have been, and the rains from the last few weeks will also help drop surface temps.

The released water all comes from the bottom of the reservoir, and as the summer progresses the coldwater layer gets depleted in a shallow reservoir like Cherokee. By the end of the summer most of the cold water is gone and for a period of a couple months temps stay right around 70 degrees.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
For now it would be best if all of us who enjoy fishing the Holston, gave the fish a break until late fall or winter when the water temps cool back down.

I agree! It would be great to catch some nice fat hold over fish, but if too many of them are caught in the warmer water temps chances are they will not survive

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 08-30-2010, 09:11 PM

That is a challenging issue for the Holston... Did you take some sampled readings? Curious what it was showing... That few times I have fished there; were completely insane. I was catching bass and rainbow in the same spot.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 08-30-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
That is a challenging issue for the Holston... Did you take some sampled readings? Curious what it was showing... That few times I have fished there; were completely insane. I was catching bass and rainbow in the same spot.
I did not but a good reliable friend who knows what he is dealing with, reported back that last week the water warmed dramatically. It usually happens about now, and is like a light switch. If history repeats then I bet it is in the high 60's to low 70's, and will stay that way until late October.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:31 PM

So how was the small mouth fishing?